The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Flygrain
  • 1 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM

jeepman66 is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Medford

Hey all I am moving from Bend to Medford in the next month and would like to get to know a few areas to fly fish. Right now I am fishing a lot of lakes and smaller rivers and cant wait to live close to the Rogue and start exploring. Any tips or good fishing spots that you are willing to part with would be a great help

Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Medford

Jeep: If Fred doesn't see your post, send him a PM, username Fredaevens, he will point out some opportunities to fly fish.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of light

Wow! Dejavu! I lived in Bend for 10 years and moved to Medford

The Rogue river is a wonderful steelhead river! You can fish ANY public access in the upper stretches and have a legit chance at steelhead 365 days a year. but you'll really want to focus your time from August thru November and February thru April. The Rogue will spoil you for steelhead. It can make any zero, a hero The steelhead behave more like trout than any river in the NW. Yes, this means you can catch them with your trout techniques.
Then theres the Applegate Smaller river, bigger steelhead!

Then theres Klamath Lake. This was my deepest love affair! Just over an hour to Rocky Point and trophy trout paradise! Right there is Williamson and wood rivers. Doesn't get much better for small river LARGE trout waters.

Not as many options as you have near Bend (Bend is a fly fishers paradise and I would move back there before I moved back to Medford) but Medford has some great options! You are a within striking distance of the Smith in Nor Cal, the Chetco, Windchuck, Elk, Sixes, Coquille, Umpqua.... Shall I go on?
mcnerney and ontheflyguide like this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 06-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Thanks, I just got back from fishing and picked up about 21 fish and 2 over 21". I am excited to fish the Rogue and just about to get a 2 handed fly rod what weight rod should I be looking for ?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I grew up in Medford (Jacksonville,Applegate,Griffin Creek area) from 1973-1999

I wont give away an super secret spots but don't overlook the feeder streams above Applegate lake, like Carberry Creek, if you are having a small stream small fish fix. Also Tons of area to explore upstream of Lost Creek lake.
Flygrain likes this.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:14 PM

I would never expect anybody to give up their secrete spot as I will find my own honey hole sooner or later just some general areas will work. but thanks for the tips.

I have 5 days left on my vacation and plan on fishing 3 of them ...... my other 1/2 needs a few things done before we move.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
Wow! Dejavu! I lived in Bend for 10 years and moved to Medford

The Rogue river is a wonderful steelhead river! You can fish ANY public access in the upper stretches and have a legit chance at steelhead 365 days a year. but you'll really want to focus your time from August thru November and February thru April. The Rogue will spoil you for steelhead. It can make any zero, a hero The steelhead behave more like trout than any river in the NW. Yes, this means you can catch them with your trout techniques.
Then theres the Applegate Smaller river, bigger steelhead!

Then theres Klamath Lake. This was my deepest love affair! Just over an hour to Rocky Point and trophy trout paradise! Right there is Williamson and wood rivers. Doesn't get much better for small river LARGE trout waters.

Not as many options as you have near Bend (Bend is a fly fishers paradise and I would move back there before I moved back to Medford) but Medford has some great options! You are a within striking distance of the Smith in Nor Cal, the Chetco, Windchuck, Elk, Sixes, Coquille, Umpqua.... Shall I go on?
What he said, Ive lived in Southern Oregon all my life and can't think of a better place to be.