The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By trout trekker
  • 1 Post By ontheflyguide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 01:19 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Yamsi Ranch / Williamson

I booked a trip to Yamsi Ranch without knowing too much about it - I won a package deal at a flyfishing club auction. I plan to be up there towards the end of August.

I've looked at their website, and it sounds like it has several springs that feed the Williamson. Can anyone else give me some advice or tell me what to expect, fishing-wise or ranch-wise? I'm a relative newbie (been fishing almost a year now).
Old 07-17-2014, 09:23 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Re: Yamsi Ranch / Williamson

Are you locals recommending hoppers?
...'cause all I'm hearing is the sound of chirping crickets on this thread!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Yikes I saw this post yesterday and didnt respond because I thought with a forum that sports a membership as high as this one, someone must have more recent experience there than I do.
In the nineties we ran annual hosted trips up to the Chiloquin area using local guides etc and one of the venues wed always include was a day on the ranch. On occasion Id run back up there with groups of friends to do Hyde and the lower Williamson.
Back then the advertised draw wasnt so much the upper section of the river, it was Hyde lake and Id be willing to bet that to this day, many of our clients have no idea that they were on Yamsi Ranch. The ranches name wasnt synonymous with the target of their trip, they only knew the place as Hyde lake and that it was on a private working ranch.

At that time the lake had a reputation for big rainbows, ( I think they were Kamloops ), whod gorge themselves on the abundant damsels and dragons. That lake would get damsel hatches that could creep out all but the most jaded fly guys. During a good hatch you could be covered in emerging damsel nymphs and tenerals, to the point of fouled guides on your rod, hundreds on your limbs, face, hands, tube - if it was above water, theyd use it.

One of the few fly rods Ive ever seen blow up in the butt section was there. A fellow on our trip, a blue water angler by choice was using a 690 RPL and tried to stop one of those large bows on a dead run. He kept applying more and more rim pressure to the reel, while the rod bowed well into the grip. Finally with the grip still straining towards the vertical and the rest of rod flat lined straight at the running fish, the butt section let loose about eight inches up from the grip. Not something you see everyday and not something that most bows have the nads to do.

It was the kind of place where 2X wouldnt have been to much, where six weights and bows were a good match. The kind of place where youd run into a world renowned fly fishing photographer trying to get that sloppy big fish with the angler cover shot.
I dont know what condition the river or the lake is in today, but back then, all you had to do was mention Hyde lake in a shop and youd turn some heads.

Thats all I have to add, with any luck maybe someone whose been there this century will chime in. Dave
yikes likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

You will be happy, the Hydes know how to take care of their guest. They have several different adventures that they provide, so the best advice I can give you is to give them a call. One thing is for sure though-you will have a sore arm!
yikes likes this.