The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Alaska in early July

Larry,
It would be on my "bucket list" if I were younger, sounds like the ultimate Steelhead stream.
Thanks for the feedback, the TV show was in the series "Seasons On The Fly", several filmed in AK. If you haven't seen them, imagine
you, and Frank would enjoy the series. Paul
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Larry,
It would be on my "bucket list" if I were younger, sounds like the ultimate Steelhead stream.
Thanks for the feedback, the TV show was in the series "Seasons On The Fly", several filmed in AK. If you haven't seen them, imagine
you, and Frank would enjoy the series. Paul
Paul: I recall seeing that episode now that you mention it, and yes I really enjoy watching the episodes on Seasons on the Fly. It sure looked like a great little stream and the steelies are huge! I think there was a cabin in one of those scenes, looked more like my style of fishing that river. The college student did that trip on the cheap, all it really cost was the airfare, he had a friend with a contact down there that was willing to pick their group up at the airport and drive them out to the river and a week later come pick them up, can't get much cheaper than that. The contact didn't even know these guys, but was willing to help them out! Pretty cool!

A friend of mine had an ATCO trailer setup on an abandoned gravel runway north of the Brooks Range that we used a couple of times while hunting/fishing. He was using a 100 lb propane bottle for the indoor grill and lighting so it was easy to warm the inside after being in the cold all day. Getting out of the wet and cold after hunting/fishing all day in the rain is always nice.

Larry

Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

The Situk is out of the Yakutat and that requires fly in to the area. Most people I know who have went down there leave from Cordova. You can get to Cordova by aircraft or a ferry out of Portage AK. I have not been there but hear many good reports of the fishing there.

As everyone has said before me, knowing where you may be at here and what the budget for fishing will be is the only way I could give you any pointers.

Ard
Getting there is actually exceptionally easy as you can fly direct to Yakutat on Alaska Airlines from Anchorage or Seattle direct, the local fly shop, oddly enough called the Situk River Fly Shop is in a hangar around to the right of the tarmac on the N/E side from the Alaska Airlines terminal and the road to the river not far from that. Easy trip, just kind of popular these days if you know what I mean.

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGuide View Post
Getting there is actually exceptionally easy as you can fly direct to Yakutat on Alaska Airlines from Anchorage or Seattle direct, the local fly shop, oddly enough called the Situk River Fly Shop is in a hangar around to the right of the tarmac on the N/E side from the Alaska Airlines terminal and the road to the river not far from that. Easy trip, just kind of popular these days if you know what I mean.

Paul
Paul -- Thanks for the interesting update on the Situk. Not surprising to hear that it is "popular" these days with that kind of access.. The video gave me the impression it is quite remote. Beautiful water, no matter what.
paul
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 AM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Paul -- Thanks for the interesting update on the Situk. Not surprising to hear that it is "popular" these days with that kind of access.. The video gave me the impression it is quite remote. Beautiful water, no matter what.
paul
No problem, Now if you or anyone else want to "get away" and do some Extreme Steelhead fishing, I am looking to put together a trip down on the Alaska Peninsula late this fall. But this is not a trip for the feint of heart ... aka no winers, the weather can suck, or be great but it is usually windy .. Excellent Fishing .. and no I'm not saying where, here...

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 03-26-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: No Edit
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 AM

adidas4275 is on a distinguished road

I have been up to Alaska twice and both times I have gone with Rainbow King Lodge.
Rainbow King Lodge - Alaska's Finest Luxury Fly-out Fishing Lodge

It seems that there are many lodges and so many places to fish that perhaps you cannot go wrong with any of them...

but i know what was nice with Rainbow King is that you fly out to new places every day (6 days I was there) and there is no additional cost for flying out to fish on their float planes.

I was talking to some other guys I met in Anchorage and they had told me that the lodge they stayed at (not sure where) charged extra to fly out and encouraged you to fish on the waterways near the lodge.

I also appreciated the normal 2:1 angler to guide ratio they had.

Anyways since it is august hopefully you had a great trip!

I just got home from my trip