The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 AM

Flycaster1221 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Flycaster1221
Default in search of steel

I just landed in portland last night, and will be spending a few weeks in silverton, or. i'm already headed to the metolius to chase redsides and hopefully a bull trout or two. i'd like to do some steelheading, however, i've only got a 6 weight with me. it's a fairly stout rod, and i've landed some larger trout on it so i'm not worried about fighting a steely with it, only being able to make the longer casts i've read about it. anyone know of any smaller steelhead rivers in the area south of portland? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks, and tight lines.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: in search of steel

The Clackamas near Carver has some steel in it this time of year, but your 6 may be takin a knife to a gunfight. Its a big river with lots of current and an 8wt with a T300 is the norm. You might be able to get a shot and indicator rig to work. You literally can't catch less fish there than I did, so others may have better advice.

Watch out for the wookie sized Neufie that roams around. Friendly dog, but holy **** he's large. The thing's back was like 22" wide and he weighed 240. It takes a large dog to make a truck squat when it jumps in, but that one pulled it off.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The Clackamas near Carver has some steel in it this time of year, but your 6 may be takin a knife to a gunfight. Its a big river with lots of current and an 8wt with a T300 is the norm. You might be able to get a shot and indicator rig to work. You literally can't catch less fish there than I did, so others may have better advice.

Watch out for the wookie sized Neufie that roams around. Friendly dog, but holy **** he's large. The thing's back was like 22" wide and he weighed 240. It takes a large dog to make a truck squat when it jumps in, but that one pulled it off.
Sound's like ,There's a story there.........
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Sound's like ,There's a story there.........
That's most of it there.

I was dating a girl at the time that lived down the street, and I would always take a rod when going to visit. She dropped me off and I fished while she was off doing whatever. I made it back to the parking lot before she did and noticed this shaggy dog a ways off. The parking lot was pretty empty, so this friendly dog decided the goober in the rubber pants was who he was going to go say hi to.

When I first saw the dog, my brain registered it as- "hey, there's a large dog". As it got within 20 yds, it was more like "geez, thats a BIG dog". Once the gentle giant finished its jaunt up to my hip, it became "HOLY ****! THAT'S THE LARGEST DOG ON THE PLANET!"

It turned out that we were both soggy (talkin about Portland, OR after all) adventurers, waiting for our ride to pick us up. His showed up before mine and told me about how he competes in "draft dog" competitions and once brought home a sick kitten unscathed in its massive mouth and mothered it back to health. 240lbs might be a stretch, but I know she said the dog was over 200#, and I literally saw the back of her 4runner squat when he hopped in.

This was actually about 8yrs ago, so he may not be around anymore. No steelhead that day, but I'll remember that dog forever.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's good stuff Cliff.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Good one Cliff.

loose dogs around rivers can be pretty serious or funny. Up in grand lake stream there were 2 dogs that hung around together , one was a very large yellow lab named Hawk whose owner lived on one side of Picnic Pool & the other is a fairly large goldie named Tanner whose owner lived on the other side of the pool downstream.. There was a picnic table up above the pool & there was a fisherman who had bought a Pizza with him. I got there around one PM & there he was, sitting at the table with the pizza in front of him with these 2 dogs bracketing him & sitting down & just staring at him & the pizza. The guy was not a dog person & was worried about them to the point that he just sat there. I knew the dogs & the owners so I moved them along. Like I said the incident was serious for him & funney for me.-