The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/)
-   -   movin to medford? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/8864-movin-medford.html)

MoFlyfishing 04-08-2009 07:44 PM

movin to medford?

Ill be movin to medford in sept and im pretty pumped and im wonderin about geting in to guideing i currently live in MO but i do alot of fishing and i was also wondering if going to a guide school would be worth while.

jeepman66 06-27-2014 06:33 PM

Re: movin to medford?

I am on my way to Medford here in a month and cant wait to hit the Rogue River for steel-head....... Let me know what you find out about guide school I was checking in to it a while back check out " Sweetwater Guide School "

ontheflyguide 06-30-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepman66 (Post 679300)
I am on my way to Medford here in a month and cant wait to hit the Rogue River for steel-head....... Let me know what you find out about guide school I was checking in to it a while back check out " Sweetwater Guide School "

you guys would be better off finding a guide you can learn from, the schools breed guides that have no connection to the rivers. Get a heritage passed down to you, know why the holes are named what they are. be able to explain how the river has changed over the years. Thats what clients wan't, anyone can read water and catch fish, clients want someone who is a part of the river. Just my 2 cents.

siege 06-30-2014 02:38 PM

Seriously ?? Got questions about Medford, send a PM to our very own "Oracle of Oar-E-Gone ", Mr Fred Evans. He's easy to find on the forums, and he lives about 20 minutes from Medford. I doubt there's a question about the area he can't answer. Fred has been fishing since the week after God invented water.
While you're at it, ask him to go fishing. You'd both enjoy it.

grtlksmarlin 07-08-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege (Post 679976)
Seriously ?? Got questions about Medford, send a PM to our very own "Oracle of Oar-E-Gone ", Mr Fred Evans.

Was about to post the same thing :icon_lol:

B.E.F.

Hardyreels 07-08-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheflyguide (Post 679972)
you guys would be better off finding a guide you can learn from, the schools breed guides that have no connection to the rivers. Get a heritage passed down to you, know why the holes are named what they are. be able to explain how the river has changed over the years. Thats what clients wan't, anyone can read water and catch fish, clients want someone who is a part of the river. Just my 2 cents.

I will agree with Nate on what he says. I believe this is even more important if you intend to try your hand on a river like the Rogue. I haven't been a professional guide for decades, actually only 3 years but the things I need to know came from the rivers here.

I'll be fishing the Rogue in November and Nate Baily will be my guide there, that's no accident. :)

Ard

PS. Am I the only one who noticed that the original post was from April of 2009? On top of that the guy was a one time poster who never came back to read the replies.............. Duh