The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Mexico > Pacific Ocean

Pacific Ocean Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Hawaii Peacock Bass

Peacock bass like warm water and sunshine... spring rains seem to be over and summer is here. As the water temperature reached 80 degrees the peacock bass became more aggressive...
Click the image to open in full size.

We're starting to see more fish in the 3 to 5 pound range. It was fun catching 40 to 50 of the little (1 pounders) peacocks and largemouth... great fun on ultra-light spinning rods or a 4wt fly rod.... but I'm ready for something larger. LOL
Even the Red Devils action is picking up.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hawaii Peacock Bass

Now those are colorful fis Stan. What do you use for a fly?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've recently discovered that a rod I've had for years would be ideal for the big fish. I'd cast it with an 8wt, and it would hardly bend unless you hauled like a gorilla on PCP. A buddy had a throwaway 11wt Outbound Short (actually a 13wt) and its perfect for it. Should do real well to turn over pigeon sized streamers.

Now if we just had some peacocks in south Texas...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I toss big flies for pike all the time. I have a 10 wt. that'll toss an 8" fly with the greatest of ease. I have a 12 wt I built for Tarpon and the size fish in that range. To big for Peacock Bass, and anything on a rod bigger than a 12 oughta have a bill on front end. I can throw these on an 8 wt. and they are 10 in flies.
Same thing with these.
I even cast them on a spey rod.
12 wts should be for things like this.
I used to live in Hawaii, and trust me, you don't need anything bigger than an 8 for Peacock Bass, but if you get a ten you can use it in the salt as well. It will be a better all around rod for there. A 12 and bigger is for stuff like they show here
Fly Fishing Insider Newsletter featuring Mackerel Patterns, Sailfish, Bill Fish Flies
Old 02-12-2011, 08:37 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I lived in south Florida and peacock bass fished. Some exceeded the 7 lb. range. I used a 7 weight rod and it worked well. Threw big streamers with a dash of red in them. The fish slayed them