The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Flatsix is on a distinguished road
Default Sierra suggestions

So after 30 years of lure and bait fishing, I fly fished once last fall and since then I'm like a crack addict (just an analogy, no offence to recovering addicts). I've traded in the Powerbait, Thomas Bouyants, Kastmasters and Mepps for fly fishing gear. I've got a 6' 2wt an 8'6 5wt, extra lines and reels, Bucks Bags tube, Simms waders, Simms boots, Force Fins, Lanyard, Vest, Shirt, Net, Flies, Casting Lessons etc.

I'm going to the Mammoth area for a week solo. Where should a rookie go for stream fishing and tube fishing where I'm not going to get in the way. I've done about 3 days total in a tube but I'd like to try wading. I want to catch fish and don't care what kind, I'm good with 6" Brookies if it helps me learn how to keep them on the line and bring them in.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sierra suggestions

Welcome to the "Madness".

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

My suggestions will depend on whether or not you like to hike a little too. The Merced and Tuoulmne are good waters with a few meadows they pass through that can be easy to get to. A good lakes list would be: Virginia, Twin and Kirman(a bit of a hike to get to it but football sized Brookies). A little ways away from Mammoth to the north are the East and West Walker rivers.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

You'll be in a good central spot to try a bunch of fisheries. East Walker River, Bridgeport, 1 hr north of Mamoth is a good one. Upper and Lower Owens River (I've never fished, but leaving Sun. to fish those), Bishop, 1 hr south of Mamoth. Lakes: June Lake loop, 15 min north; Convict lake, 15 min south; Crowley Lake, 30 min south; Saddlebag Lake, enter Yosimite, approx 45 min north. All of those times are approximate.
You and I are in the same place with FF. I started last fall. Seriously addicted and spending serious $$$. When you think that you've spent enough it's time to start tying your own flies. That will hook you, no pun intended. Loving it all here too.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM

cruddymutt is on a distinguished road

South of mammoth is Rock creek (Toms Place exit). Excellent fishing for Brookies below the lake with the chance for some small Browns and Rainbows. Its where I take my kids to throw flies and they always do very well.
Upper Owens is OK in my opinion, can get windy and 2 weeks ago the water was muddy. Lower Owens in the wild trout area can be frustrating but the fish there are fighters and usually of decent size.
North of Mammoth but south of Bridgeport is Green Creek. There is a small sign along 395 that points you there. Its a dirt road the whole way but in good shape. At the top of the hill, make a right. I took a left last year and drove for miles the wrong way!
I havent fished the Mammoth area due to too many people so I got no spots there for ya.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:06 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

East walker is nice. Maybe hit bridgeport lake while your there. North end of lake crowley can be weedy but fishy. If it's to hot in the valley, try driving up to saddlebag nr yosemite, maybe sardine lake if you go down to bishop. Nice hot spring just south of bishop called keough. Helps keep casting arm loose. Some beaver ponds south of bishop on the owens are great for tubing for bass or trout.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 PM

Dryrod is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Sierra suggestions

Now the fun starts. Next it will be tying your own flies. I usually stop when I get to Bishop. Head west on Hwy 168 about 20 miles up into the mountains where the altitude is about 9800'. Bishop Creek runs real cool even this time of the year. Your 6' 2wt is ideal for those narrow waters. I was up there in May and caught wild browns, brookies and bows. They were all in the 8-14" range. Lots of fun on my 7' 2wt.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Flatsix is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Got back last week. Had a great time fishing lots of different waters. Fished McGee Creek about 3 miles back from the trailhead at a beaver pond. Fished Upper Owens for about 4 hours from the bridge all the way under the fence into the cow pastures. Fished the San Joaquin about 1/8 mile above Rainbow falls. Fished Rock Creek and the lakes and streams along the John Muir. Fished Hot Creek at the parking area by the hatchery for a couple of hours.

I got the hang of adjusting my line to fish downstream, and cross stream by wiggling the line or mending the line to get a more natural drift. I figured out how to haul for distance, got a chance to practice shooting line and picked up some accuracy along the way.

Only downside is that I got (1) 8" fish for the days and hours spent fishing.

I asked the guys at one of the local shops what to use and they told me nymphs. I bought $50 worth of nymphs in all colors and variations ( Isn't $2.00 a fly a little on the high side for nymphs?). I went to the water and what do I see.....fish top feeding like crazy. I had a few dry flies so I switched to these and found that the fish liked tricos and elk hair caddis.

I'm guessing that I need to know more about matching the bugs that the fish are feeding on.

Anyone need any nymphs??
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM

cruddymutt is on a distinguished road

Ya know nymphs are the "go to always works" fly unless you bring a ton of nymphs then they dont work haha. Last month I fished Bishop Creek and slayed the wild browns on one of my zebra nymph patterns. I only had 2 tied up so if my Dad or I lost one, well it was over.
So what do I do? I tied about 30 of them last weekend and my kids and I took off yesterday for, what we thought would be, amazing fishing.
Well we caught a big fat zero on nymphs yesterday. Only got one fish to net and it was on a soft hackle stripped. Today was much better but again got the goose egg for nymphs. X-caddis was flavor they wanted and luckly I had 4 of those tied up. Still had a great time and my kids finally caught Browns to finish off their Sierra Grand Slam.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Dryrod is on a distinguished road
Default Nymphs

Yeah a zebra midge or anything similar works real well as a dropper in the Bishop Creek area. OMG $50 worth of flies. One can tie up a midge/nymph in a matter of a couple of minutes. I keep inventing my own patterns and probably have enough flies to last a life time. It is a nice extension to the FF sport.
hainesfisherman likes this.