The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 AM

quasimodo is on a distinguished road
Default Northern Ca

Hi - I'm new here. Gotta a question: I'll be in Northern California soon. For about a week or 10 days. I'll be near Fairfield, Vacaville, Napa, Sacramento area. Any trout fishing in that general vicinity?

How about in or near Yosemite?

thx

Q
Old 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Northern Ca

There are trout everywhere in and around Yosemite and there are numerous spots around Sac to fish for trout, lm bass, stripers and salmon. Cehck out Fish First! Northern California Fly Fishing for fish reports and ideas of where you want to head.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo View Post
Hi - I'm new here. Gotta a question: I'll be in Northern California soon. For about a week or 10 days. I'll be near Fairfield, Vacaville, Napa, Sacramento area. Any trout fishing in that general vicinity?

How about in or near Yosemite?

thx

Q
You can fish Putah Creek near Vacaville. It is a wild trout fishery. This time of year, the flows are higher, but fishable. You'll be doing a lot of nymphing. Make sure to clean your wading boots well after fishing it because the creek has New Zealand Mudsnails. Google the name Greg Bonovich if you want more information.

The Lower American River has the halfpounder run of Steelhead. Swinging soft hackles in the evening is effective. But unfortunately the flows are on the high side. Be careful wading.

The Lower Yuba east of Marysville was fishing well prior to the current heat spell which is going to end soon. Even though the Lower American is closer to my house, I consider the Lower Yuba my homewaters.

The South Fork of the American River and its tribs (along the US 50 corridor) are always fun.

The Truckee River is also fun, too. But prepare for some challenging fishing since the fish are very educated.

I don't fish the Yosemite area. For more information, Google search Jimmie Morales. I know of him because of his reputation. He posts from time to time on this board.

If you need guide information, shoot me a PM. I know many of them for the region.

MP