The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM

freestoneangler is on a distinguished road
Default Yuba River

Hello All,
I'll be visiting the Sacramento area during the third week of March and plan to fish the Yuba. From what I've researched, it sounds like this is the a good time for early season activity. It also sounds like the best access is the stretch above and below Englebright dam. My brother and I will be wade fishing, and he is pretty new to flyfishing. Is the water tough to wade or casting particularly challenging?

If anyone on the forum fishes the Yuba regularly and is willing to share advice, I would appreciate it (PM would be great too).

Thanks,
freestoneangler

"no matter where you go... there you are"
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yuba River

The great thing of the Lower Yuba in March is that there are two major hatches that people look for: March Brown mayfly and Skwala stonefly. You can fish single handed rods or Spey rods. Take your pick. You should have a good time.

Wading could be tough depending on the amount of water coming down from rainstorms. A good rain could blow out the river. One thing that is positive is that the snow runoff doesn't hit until April. Good flows for wading is up to 2500 cfs.

The downside of the Lower Yuba is the lack of public access. Most people fish around the Highway 20 bridge. As long as you stay in the flood plain, you are on public ground. You could also publicly access the river at Hammon Grove Park and Sycamore Ranch Park.

If you want best fishing, you should be drifting. That opens six to eight river miles. If you want to drift the river, let me know. I know most of the guides personally.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-19-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: changed the flow rating
Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM

freestoneangler is on a distinguished road

Thanks MP. Since we are floating the lower Sac with a guide that same week, we'll only be wade fishing the Yuba...must mind the savings account

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and no pacific warm storms will turn the rivers into malt shakes!

We'll go explore and, at worst, get some 'castingtenics' in.

"no matter where you go... there you are"
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Clay Hash's website is probably the most informative website on the Lower Yuba. His hatch chart is dead on.

MP