The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM

NVYDVR1 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to fish in So.Cal?

I live in Norco area and am new to flyfishing.Due to blood pressure,need to stay below 4500 elevation.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks,Larry
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where to fish in So.Cal?

If you are trying for trout you can always try the Santa Ana River. Bad part is that parts of the road will take you up to around that elevation but the area that you could be fishing is much less than that. This is the part of the river that is in the mountains not next to the 91 fwy.

Sean
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
If you are trying for trout you can always try the Santa Ana River. Bad part is that parts of the road will take you up to around that elevation but the area that you could be fishing is much less than that. This is the part of the river that is in the mountains not next to the 91 fwy.

Sean
Thanks I'll check it out.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Dryrod is on a distinguished road

Hey there NVYDVR1 there is also the East Fork of the San Gabriel River. But you may have to wait until the fire activity is over. It is about 50 miles from Norco. Fish are rather small, so a two wt would be ideal.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi NVYDVR1,

If you want to made a trip there is the Kern River below Lake Isabella. There use to be some big trout in this stretch. Kernville is only 2500ft or so elevation. I think you could also fish the Kern above Kernville and stay below your limit. You drive to Bakersfield and then take 178 Ne. The road follows the river most of the way to Lake Isabella. Don't start fishing until you are up into the hills. The best number of fish will be above the lake.

Then there is Kings River below Pine Flat Lake. This is a great tailwater fishery but a good distance from you. There is also a river/stream east of Porterville that I have fished but don't remember the name.

Frank
Old 09-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Dryrod is on a distinguished road

If you are willing to drive a bit there is also the Santa Ynez River. Need to fish from below Cachuma Lake to Gibraltar Reservoir.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks guys,appreciate the info.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:58 AM

sschung is on a distinguished road

If you want to try something at sea level, check out the local surf and bays. Take the 91 to the toll roads, and you will be at the beach in no time. Lots of fun year round, no fires and the fish are there so long as the winter storms don't blowout the beaches. You will never know what you are going to catch

Newport Bay small calico popsicle
Click the image to open in full size.

Santa Ana River Jetties halibut caught on a dead drift mini puff clouser tandem.
Click the image to open in full size.

Shane
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

Shane - great to see you joined up and thanks for sharing the photos too.
Tight lines,
Paul
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 PM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

i am from norco also and i really need to find some spots to fish. i tryed Lytle Creek this afternoon for a couple of hours. didnt even get a bite but saw one other fishermen. so i think theres somethin in there haha. any try lytle creek?