The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Cali trip (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/112806-cali-trip.html)

ffcc82 03-09-2011 08:02 PM

Cali trip

I'm coming out to Travis (Fairfield area) in a few days and I may have a couple days down time. Does anyone have any suggestions for some public access waters to fish w/ in a couple hrs travel time. Also if there's anything in particular I need to know about non-res. licensing/trout stamp etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

MoscaPescador 03-09-2011 11:34 PM

Re: Cali trip

You can find licensing costs here.

You can purchase your license online on the DFG website.

Putah Creek is a wild trout fishery northeast of Travis. There are five county day use access points west of the town of Winters. You can also access the river at the Highway 128 bridge. Park on the southwest side. Water is low right now, so a lighter rod like a three or four weight would be fine. Think small... like size 20 and 22.

MP

mikel 03-10-2011 12:40 AM

If I could add just a bit re Putah...it's a brushy little sucker, so you'll need to bushwhack a little bit. Plenty fishable, but certainly not just walk up and start making long false casts. It IS a good choice for you...

The fish are coming off the redds now, but the redds will be ripe with eggs for another month roughly. Try to avoid wading in the shallower, gravel bottom areas.

Regs are barbless, no take.

It's a unique and sweet stream, fun to fish. And MP is absolutely right about tiny bugs.

-Mike

ffcc82 03-10-2011 09:10 PM

I've got some small bugs that w/ hopefully work. Thank you and I appreciate the help.

MoscaPescador 03-10-2011 11:32 PM

Another note about Putah. There are New Zealand Mudsnails in it. After fishing Putah, make sure to give your boots a thorough cleaning before going to another watershed.

dhayden 03-11-2011 07:47 AM

If 3 hours isn't too far.. you have the lower Sacramento River in Redding.

All kinds of places to fish there..

reports:
Northern California Fly Fishing Guide Service @ The Fly Shop®

ffcc82 03-21-2011 11:43 PM

been raining like crazy so far but it finally stopped for a day and a half so i fished for a couple hrs this morning. didnt atch anything but the water was still pretty muddy and high so i wasn't expecting anything. ill give it a shot again this morning if it doesnt rain tonight

MoscaPescador 03-22-2011 12:10 AM

If you are talking of Putah, work those edges hard. As you can tell, the weather hasn't been the greatest.

dcmcmill 05-06-2012 10:42 PM

how did this fishing trip go?