The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing the West Fork of the San Gaberial River

I went fishing yesterday and hit the West Fork of the San Gaberial River. When I got to the parking area I was only the second car and the parking area was not a dirt area any more, it was paved with a restroom. It was the first time I'd been there in years. Probably about 12-13 years. It's actually a lot nicer than I remember so the trip started off great. In addition to shaking the rust off from not fishing for so long, I wanted to test out my new pack. A Fishpond Tundra Tech pack. Click the image to open in full size.
I'll post a review in the gear section for that. My other equipment for this trip was a 7'-0" 3wt rod with a slow action that I wrapped myself ages ago with an Elkhorn T1 reel to hold the WF3F line. Anyways I started the hike in to the Wild Trout area, it starts about 3 miles or so up the path, it's actually paved now all the way up to the dam. It was a dirt trail from what I remember the last time. I hiked for about an hour and went in 4 miles or so snapping some pictures on the way...
Click the image to open in full size.
Saw plenty of wildlife, waterfalls, and just plain great scenery. Once I got in as far as I wanted to hike (the river was calling me to fish ) I got rigged up and headed down to the water...where I preceeded to loose my first 3 flys to the trees. I did say it had been a while. Yove've got to watch that back cast when it really tight. Once I started to roll cast in the tight spots the day went smoother. The water was running high and fast, at least according to a couple of fellow flyfishermen I met while fishing my way out. My technique for the day was fishing a nymph under an indicator. It was difficult to get a good drift so I was high sticking it most of the time to keep the line off the water and get a good drift. It workd and I was rewarded with a couple of trophy wild rainbows.
The average size of the trout on this water as about 6" so anything over that is a real trophy. The first one was about 8" and the second one was pushing 9". All in all I had a great day!!

-Mack
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM

bowbender is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing the West Fork of the San Gaberial River

Thanks for the report and pics. Looks like you had a blast.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

Great pictures! I love taking trips up there. It has gotten a lot more clean. I wounder if it would be worth going up there sometime next week. Do you think the water is high and fast still due to the rain?

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM

mark_griffin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 951tightline View Post
Great pictures! I love taking trips up there. It has gotten a lot more clean. I wounder if it would be worth going up there sometime next week. Do you think the water is high and fast still due to the rain?

Tight Lines
Scott
We just had a group up for our "Kids Academy" last weekend (3/26-3/27) and it was pretty well blown out. The Dam is wide open as they try to bring it's level down some. It had been wide open all last week and we'd hoped that they might close the gates some for the weekend, but no such luck.

The tribs upstream are running clear and there were some willing takers on the dry's. Some of our group had some luck further up Hwy 39 on Sunday.

You might go up and have a look as the gates may be back to normal by now. If not, you've got two other forks running clear, just minutes from the WF parking lot.

Good Luck!

Mark Griffin
WestForkSGRC.org
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

Wow!! Thet water looks to be a few FEET higher than when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Scott-
It's deeper than it looks and those rocks can get really slick...watch your step if you wade.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get back...even if it's just scenery.

Mark-
I checked out your web page and that photo of the East Fork is INSANE with all those swimmers!! Dang!!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Wow that picture really tells a story of how much water can flow down that river. Wonder if they are still draining Cogswell in anticipation of the snowmelt from the hotter temps this week. Almost makes me not want to wade in there especially since it has rocks that are extremely slippery.

Sean