The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 10:51 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road
Default Helloooooooo!

Wow, I guess the fly fishing is really good since no ones added anything to the SW area since March .
Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hellooooooooooooooooooo!

Well....
there aren't a lot of california folks on here but we are a vocal minority when it comes to the general forums.
Simi is only an hour and a half from my area. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and visit occasionally.
What is your favorite water near there to fly fish?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Salmo Nella
Locally I usually stream fish Piru Creek off of Templin Highway or the East Fork of the San Gabriel River. I haven't even tried out my fly fishing gear I just got, but I am hoping to get some time on the water this weekend for an hour or two. Do you fish around here?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

At some point or other I have fished all over so cal.
I like Piru Creek and San Gabriel river, although I haven't been to either one recently. Bear creek is nice also as is the Sespe and Ventura River.
With the summer months ahead I will also be thinking about bluegill and sunfish in some of the local lakes or, better yet, throwing some hairy popper thing along the brush hoping some bass will find it intrigueing.
I may even cruise the shallows in a local pond that has carp in it. I hear they are blast on a 4 wt.
Let us hear how you do when you get out.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:14 PM

Salmo Neela
I went out for the first time to Lake Piru with a buddy of mine on a rental boat. The fish won this battle but the war is far from over.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 PM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

can either of you say Hot Creek in July on the ranch?

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 PM

"can either of you say Hot Creek in July on the ranch?" I assume you're refering to the Eastern Sierras? It's an awesome area to fish. I'll be going up in that area and further north myself either later this month or early July.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 AM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

yes sir foulhabit. I am referring to the eastern sierras. This is my first time fishing the creek and heard its a techincal dry fly stream. thats my kinda thing

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternflyfisher
and heard its a techincal dry fly stream.
That may be an understatement. I have heard all good things. You should have a great time. The water levels are up all over the Sierras this year and there is a ton of insect activity. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
This is my first time fishing the creek and heard its a techincal dry fly stream. thats my kinda thing
Darn shame, seems like yer awful young to get sucked into that dry fly only snobbery. We'll have to fish together sometime and I'll go behind you and pick up all the fish you missed. Then on the way back down I can pull out the wets and really hook some trouts.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.