The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Angeles National Forest? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/119331-angeles-national-forest.html)

marsone 03-27-2011 05:58 PM

Angeles National Forest?

Hi all,

Visiting Cali from South Australia, made a thread RE fishing Yosemite/Kings NPs...

Given the timeframe availabe, and the cost :eek:

Reckon that one might have to go on the backburner for a while.

However, I understand there are fish to be caught and gear to be hired in the Angeles National Forest, just out of Burbank where I'm staying at the mo :cool:

Anyone had any experience fishing this place? Apparently the fish aren't of great quality - but I'm more interested in seeing the place as well...

Have a hire car to play with, so am keen to explore the outdoors, even tho I'm in the huge city of LA.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Cheers
M1

951tightline 03-27-2011 07:26 PM

Re: Angeles National Forest?

I sent you a PM.

marsone 03-27-2011 08:09 PM

Appreciate it tightline, got back at you ;)

mack_s 03-28-2011 01:41 PM

Marsone-

You can hit the West and East Forks of the San Gaberial River. Should be about a 40 minute drive for you from Burbank. 20 minutes to the turn off (Azusa Blvd) and then another 20 minutes or so winding up the mountain road to the parking area (West Fork). A bit farther to the East Fork. You can check out my thread on fishing the West Fork from a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful scenery, wild trout, and it's just plain fun.

-Mack

marsone 03-28-2011 06:34 PM

hi all,

Been having some great discussion with tightline - man is a legend!

Could I direct you guys to this link.....

Third picture down - where half of LA is playing in the water.... Are these sections worth a shot? Don't look particularly trouty from my experience - my thinking is I'd be better off heading way further up.

But then I'm hearing to head to the East fork of San Gabriel - and these are the pics that come up with an internet search.

Love to hear some thoughts,

Cheers guys

951tightline 03-29-2011 01:18 AM

Yeah, it's almost that time again....summer..... And yes there are trout in there. That picture looks a little futher downstream but yes summer+weekends= more than half of LA in that river. I dont think you should have any problems with swimmer on your trip, probably gold panners though but only a couple. What I have figured out, the farther you go, the less swimmers you run into. They aren't willing to hike a mile or 2 and just think, you can hike 7 or 8 miles back in there :D

Hope I can get you on some fish!

Tight Lines
Scott

laflijj 04-23-2012 11:21 PM

Hey all,

I am also going to be in the area this summer, internship at JPL (6/20 - 8/25), and was also wondering about the prospects in that area. Just planning on bringing some day hiking stuff and the basic fly gear. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mack I saw your post on the west fork in march looks great, i'm getting excited.

shimloom 04-26-2012 07:37 PM

You may want to try Frenchmans Flat off the 5 just Up from Castaic Lake. Miles of stream to fish. Planted trout are in there. Check with Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys for more info.

mack_s 04-27-2012 02:21 PM

For a bit of variety...bring a 7wt and hit the beach. There is some great fishing right on the beach. Make sure to check the Regs as some beach fishing has been changed/closed due to protetecting the coast. Or you can rent a skiff in Long Beach or Newport harbors and get some good action too.

Good luck and tight lines!!

nickrp 05-07-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsone (Post 232097)
hi all,

Been having some great discussion with tightline - man is a legend!

Could I direct you guys to this link.....

Angeles National Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Third picture down - where half of LA is playing in the water.... Are these sections worth a shot? Don't look particularly trouty from my experience - my thinking is I'd be better off heading way further up.

But then I'm hearing to head to the East fork of San Gabriel - and these are the pics that come up with an internet search.

Love to hear some thoughts,

Cheers guys

Ha! yeah thats pretty much summer on the east fork, but thats usually right below the parking and a bit down stream. In the winter spring and durring the week you can fish that spot(i did sunday), but summer weekend head up stream. I would suggest going all the way past "the bridge to nowhere" which is basically the "main attraction" for hikers on the east fork. Its also where folks bungie jump year round with a company called American bungie. But anyways, the bridge is about 5 miles from the trail head, i would go maybe another mile past that, you will at most see a total of 10 folks (mostly gold panners) past the bridge. I go up and camp past the bridge a few times a year just to hang out and now to fly fish (just picked it up this year). Be warned though, gets hot with little shade, and we are creeping into that time of the year again. so if you want to avoid weekend crowds all together past the bridge is the way to go. If you dont mind a few people here and there, just hike 2-3 miles in, it will substantially thin the crowds... Good Luck!