The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM

hawk1260 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Opportunities w/in a few hours of Anaheim?

I'm headed down to Anaheim (from Montana) for three weeks this month (January) for work. Looking to see if I can get some fishing in on the weekends.

Here's what I would like to shoot for:
-within a few hours driving time of Anaheim
-cheap (don't have a whole lot of money I can dedicate right now)
-preferably some sort of saltwater fishing - like surf or kayak fishing

Specifically are there any Roosterfishing opportunities that fit in this scheme? Anything in the Baja in range?

I'm open for other ideas as well...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Opportunities w/in a few hours of Anaheim?

Don't expect any Roosterfish opportunities in So. Cal. There are some Surf Perch and Calico Bass opportunities though. If you want more information, call the guys at Fishermen's Spot in Van Nuys. Its phone number is (877) 785-7306.

If you want a shot at some Roosters, Yellowtail, Pargo, Cabrilla, or the lost Dorado, you can take a short flight out of LAX to Loreto, Mexico. Contact Baja Big Fish. The operation is ran by an American named Pam Bolles. She can get you taken care of. Click here for the link. She just updated here website today.

MP
Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live So. Cal., and there are a pile of lakes with really big Largemouth. You can walk the shore on some. Kayak will get you around to a lot of stuff. Depending on the day, you can get some pretty good fish near shore in the salt. Yellow Tail, and stuff like that over the open bottom, and Calico Bass and stuff like that when you fish the Kelp. Personally, I'd do the Largemouth thing. So. Cal. is hard to beat on that one and only so so in the salt department.

Roosterfish are in the Gulf of Cal. so you would need to take a trip to Mexico for that one. Considering the state of affairs in Mexico, you couldn't talk me into going.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Ach... forgot about the bass scene. Castaic and Casitas are great reserviors known for big bass. Here is the teaser clip of Bass: The Movie which shows bits and pieces of the So Cal footage.

As for Mexico, there are places that I would not go and some that I would go to in a heartbeat. Loreto is one place that I feel is safe.

MP
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.