The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Yosemite early June?

I agree with the recommendation on Hetch Hetchy especially for a backpacking trip. I have been told by a guy that did the hike that it is a full day in and out but if you get there it is well worth it. If you do a backpack trip in the park make sure you have a bear box with for food.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 PM

dryflyin is on a distinguished road

I fished in Yosemite last July 4th, and again in early September.

In June, the Merced River will be high and fast. The snow pack is higher this year, so even more so than last year. Of course, the fishing is poorest in the valley where the Merced is most accessible, due to the crowds. I was able to find some fish in calmer pools along the edges, but be careful. Even flat water can have deceptively strong currents.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 AM

bernard yin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesswank View Post
I am looking at a backpacking trip the first 2 weeks in June. What advice can you give me about don't miss rivers and streams in Yosemite. Is there a problem with runoff this time of year or is typically done with by then? Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Wes

NOLA
Who Dat!
Wes, did you ever go? Care to share?
B
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM

dcmcmill is on a distinguished road

the mammoth lakes store is awesome. i forget the name. plus you can fish tuolome meadows in west yos.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM

khende is on a distinguished road

What part of the park will you be backpacking in? I have never fished it but I understand the Merced River above Nevada Falls is good, just make sure you are a good distance abobe the falls. The Tuolumne River and the two creeks that form it have a good population of native brook trout. The Illilouette River out of Glacier Point is also a good bet. I have never caught a fish in the Merced river in the Valley but I have been successful in Tenya Creek above its confluence with the Merced.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

KH...this thread is a couple of years old...good advice from you, though.

I guarantee there were some backpackers wishing they had an extra blanket last week out there. It was chilly up high a couple of nights on the heels of this last snowstorm.

-Mike
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 PM

NickFlyer is on a distinguished road

nice thread, good advice