The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default re: Truckee river (CA not NV)

Glad to read that you caught fish! I'm working on being able to go up tomorrow morning all depends if one of my children are working or not and will be able to stay with grandma while I get out for few hours.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I'm planning on heading to the river this morning, trucks loaded, just getting some coffee down my throat now.. Report later

d
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Well at a 11:00 p.m. I found out that my daughter was going to be home today to stay with grandma. So by 11:30 p.m. the Forester was all loaded. I didn't get up as early as I'd like, but I was on Truckee a little ways from Glenshire Bridge by 9:00 a.m.. It was a nice day, but I've apparently got my skunk on. I had to be home pretty early so I stopped fishing about 2:30. I fished without an indi, tried a dry dropper, and then an indi finally after several hrs of indi fishing a brown about 19" hit my indicator.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Well, things dont always work out as planned, I got diverted from hitting the river 5 minutes after posting yesterday morning. Oh well, there is always next week.

d
Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

Will be passing through in the next month, but don't have a Cali license yet. I may have one on the way back, that'll be fun, and I know what to do with it. I have a NV license, but won't be east of Reno. I've never fished between stateline and boomtown, but thinking I might try as I pass through, is it worth the stop right now? No top secret info necessary, i'm happy getting skunked if thats what I earn, just curious if I should wait till I could go Cali side or east of Reno and save the gas on the first pass. Never fished in between.

-Jonesy
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Lots of places west of Reno you can fish as well, not secret spots, but you can usually catch fish at Mayberry Park, or there is a stretch of river behind Cabelas where you can pull out and park and wet a line. Both are easy access and both have about a mile of river you can get to.

Dave
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 AM

aaronmcosby is on a distinguished road

Dry fly fishings going off in the evenings. especially up towards the upper section. Ive seen a few big browns eating emergers down in the lower section, only had one rise. 7-10 fish last three evenings though up higher. mostly baby's. but hell ill take 5-10 wild babies all day over glenshire bridge casters! One big one smashed my caddis this evening snapped off the 5x before i had a chance to get him to the reel. Landed a nice 14-16" wild bow which was a good fight and one of the nicer fish ive caught on a dry in this river. I always see people leaving right when it gets good!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcosby View Post
I always see people leaving right when it gets good!
I certainly can't speak for everyone, but a lot of folks like myself drive up from the Sacramento area just for a day trip and have to go to work the next morning. So we end up having to leave early. However, whenever I'm able to spend the night I fish till dark and sometimes even when I shouldn't.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Snow is here for the moment, but we're hoping for a break.
About 2" in Truckee town. But It's melting fast, and that's just what the Browns ordered....
A freshening of flows, temp drop, a little off color, maybe tonight.....
The bows are happy because most folks have gone home.
The water above the town of Truckee is still very low.
Below town has better flows, that get bigger and better the lower you go in the canyon.
Bug wise, they are thinning out, smaller in size, smaller in numbers.
Some very small PMDs sz 22, and some caddis (Three types) around as well.
Oct. caddis hatch has begun! Scattered appearances throughout the river, from TC down to NV.
sz 20 black baetis, and as allways a zebra midge is on the menu.
Personally, it's streamer season!
Happy hunting!

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 10-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

The T is beautiful right now and big fish are moving around.
A few risers here and there.
Mostly they are eating small bugs subsurface.
Midges abound and several fatties were stuck with a thread midge.
Think outside the box for more effect.
Try a single fly, maybe a soft hackle on the swing
BWOs appear from time to time when cloud passes......
Oct. Caddis are still around, bounce a pupa, or swing a skinny soft hackle emerger.
Many hoppers around, might last another week or so......
The Fall color is awesome right now, good time to take a hike or picinic some.
The storm window is about open, getter while you can.

Jim