The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 05:21 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default re: Truckee river (CA not NV)

I got out on Sunday in Sparks but it was a little slow. I hooked a donkey that was easily 22 plus inches and had a nice fight but he spit my cray after a bit. A few other takes nymphing but nothing to brag about. As usual quite a few flies were lost so this week will be spent stocking up for the next trip out.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM

bobg1 is on a distinguished road

Dying to Fish the Verdi area, any hints? RV Parking near the river is a plus, prefer Nevada side!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Get out on the Truckee, nows the time...remember the crayfish flies
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM

bent crosshairs is on a distinguished road

Headed out tomorrow on the River for my birthday. Hoping to land a nice brown, fingers crossed.

Anybody recommend patterns that are hot?

http://slappingills.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

October caddis with a midge or small copper john trailer. Remember if your not near the bottom with a nymph, your missing the fish. small EHC or caddis on top typically this time of year, but I haven't been on the river since March, so not sure what is actually hatching - these worked for me this time last year.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 AM

thomasdebraga is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. New to the forum and also the Reno area. I just moved up here for school from Elko and haven't fished the river much. I went out this morning and fished around the Mayberry Park area. Caught 4 bows, one was about 18" the others were all smaller. Caught one little brown too. I read some reports before heading out and decided to go with an orange caddis main and a hare's ear dropper, every fish I hooked into took the caddis. Fished from about 8-11 am.
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Forgot to mention my dad went with me as well. I saw him hook into 4-5 little bows. He was using an orange and green stillwater nymph on intermediate sink line.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that you found out that its October Caddis time.

Welcome to the site.

Dennis
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Yep, it is october caddis time isnt it

According to the 30 year hatch chart:

Baetis (PTN or GRHE), Snails (Sheeps Creek Specials), Scuds and midges (birds nest, bottom rollers, etc), Caddis (October Caddis, Birds nest with red squirrel, red and orange Stimulators) are good flies to try.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Big streamers with sink tip lines or integrated shooting heads might interest Homie.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Ive been fishing the lakes all summer, float tubes, and boats (have to get my $ worth outta the boats too).

But been hankerin to hit the river knowing its fall and the fish like the big orange caddis. I might have to just throw the rod in the truck and try a little moving water this weekend - see if I can still mend a line in the current.

d