The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default re: Truckee river (CA not NV)

yep, the wind is a bummer, makes it tough to cast.

Sunday:
We went up on the north east corner Sunday AM, caught a couple nice ones, got ate alive by skeeters, and then had to fight the wind on top of that. All I can say is take your bug spray if your gonna fish the alcoves (I left mine on the kitchen counter when I filled up the thermos) and I am still itching 2 days later and I have tried every stop itch cure I can think of including benedryl and roll-on anti-perspirant!

Saw some blood midges squirming around in the shallows and there were obviously skeeters hatching, didn't see any damsels, but saw some shucks.

We packed up after an hour or so and went over to eagle point (got the wind to our backs), and fished the little coves there. Pulled in four more. A couple stockers and a couple holdovers in the 1.5 to 2 lb range.

Saturday:
I did get my old 56 speedster on the water Saturday (all by myself) for a couple hours before the wind kicked up. I was dying to get the old girl on the water and see if my repairs on my 46 sea king motor did the trick - she worked well but started coughing toward the end just a bit - found the fuel filter clogging with a little dirt when I got home. Next time I'll take the 15 horse if the wind is gonna be such a pain, the 5 horse got me back and looked pretty doin it, so no complaints, just a little slow into the breeze. I took a couple hits on a olive bugger but didn't get anything to the boat, the trollers were telling me the ever wonderful Dick Nite was striking out and the only thing they saw fish caught on was some big old lures that dollard has for sale - a red nose dace pattern of some kind.

Did get to talk to a nice gent who had a pram rigged up on his van and about a thousand flies in his cases. Swore by the pram as the best FF boat ever invented for lake fishing and man did he have it rigged for 1 man operation. Sweet set up, looked comfy and he had hoists rigged so it loaded on top of his econoline. He was in no hurry, so we drank a cup of joe and chatted a bit. He had been fishing Davis for 20 years, he even gave me a little intel for the next trip, (I don't ask, but don't tunr down info if offered), and we had a pleasurable convo about fly fishing, boats, tubes and toons.

All in all a good day, even if I didn't net anything on Saturday.

d
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
yep, the wind is a bummer, makes it tough to cast.

Sunday:
We went up on the north east corner Sunday AM, caught a couple nice ones, got ate alive by skeeters, and then had to fight the wind on top of that.
Were you in Mosquito Slough?

Quote:
All I can say is take your bug spray if your gonna fish the alcoves
I keep two bottles onboard, the Cutter's Advanced non-DEET stuff and some of the full-bore nasty 100% DEET "Jungle Juice" from REI. The Jungle Juice always works, if I am smart enough to apply it thoroughly. It even worked when I was in Alaska, and those have to be the most aggressive 'skeeters in the world.

Quote:
We packed up after an hour or so and went over to eagle point (got the wind to our backs), and fished the little coves there. Pulled in four more. A couple stockers and a couple holdovers in the 1.5 to 2 lb range.
I caught one (est 4lbs) at Eagle Point (actually, one cove south of there) when I was there last. I am planning on trying to fish there in the evenings on this weekend's trip, wind permitting. Should be a good midge area with the mud bottom.

I hope.

Quote:
the trollers were telling me the ever wonderful Dick Nite was striking out and the only thing they saw fish caught on was some big old lures that dollard has for sale - a red nose dace pattern of some kind.
The Ed Dillard fishing report finally removed the "Fishing continues to be superb." phrase. ;-)
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

My buddy and I have challenged ourselves to slowly but surely work in and out of all the various fishing accesses on the lake fishing from shore and wading.

Sometimes we get too caught up in the "one spot that was good last time" so we thought that would be a good thing to do this year plus we are finding many new places for float tubing now that the weather is a little better. Wind just needs to die down so we don't have to have the range tow us back in - hasnt happened to us yet, but I have seen him pull a couple others out of the middle of the lake.

d

d
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
My buddy and I have challenged ourselves to slowly but surely work in and out of all the various fishing accesses on the lake fishing from shore and wading.

Sometimes we get too caught up in the "one spot that was good last time" so we thought that would be a good thing to do this year plus we are finding many new places for float tubing now that the weather is a little better. Wind just needs to die down so we don't have to have the range tow us back in - hasnt happened to us yet, but I have seen him pull a couple others out of the middle of the lake.

d
Dave; Good idea, I find that I go back to the sweet spots that were good last time, instead of moving around more. I'd probably be better off trying new spots.

Larry
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Great conditions on the river right now.
Big hatch last night, mixed bag of PED's, Caddis (3kinds), Little yellow sallies, and midges-midges-midges.
Mostly subsurface feeding, but...
Nice to see some noses for a change...
Hope you are getting out.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 07-15-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM

jwilcher is on a distinguished road

Hows everyone doing on the Truckee? Feeling the summer pressure of bait slingers and rafts?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Don't fish the Truckee anymore due to the idiots in heards all over the place, both fishing and rafting, and the garbage. It's much nicer hitting the smaller streams in the cooler mountains with no one around.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

PM temp on the upper river(tahoe-truckee) is 68-69. Too warm for catch and release.
Tenps good below Boca.
Rafters do a casual start, if you go early, fishing is good, and noone on the water.
The last hour is pretty good too.
Fishing more frothy water now, very small nymphs work well.
Weekdays are best.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM

jwilcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
PM temp on the upper river(tahoe-truckee) is 68-69. Too warm for catch and release.
Tenps good below Boca.
Rafters do a casual start, if you go early, fishing is good, and noone on the water.
The last hour is pretty good too.
Fishing more frothy water now, very small nymphs work well.
Weekdays are best.

Jim
Yeah seems when the temps get up they like the oxygenated stuff. Been finding fish in the lower river to be eating emergers and softhackles as well as streamers. Been going early morning til about 10 and then the last hour or two of daylight. We should get out and fish sometime.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:52 PM

JW, you just let me know, I'll take some time out from fishing, to go fishin' wit ya.
Always looking for a change in my routine. Don't want to fall into a rut!
Hey.... a client without waders turned over a river rock from shore. A largish Golden stone nymph was surprised to suddenly be exposed to the air. He was almost ready to pop (and we think we have problems). Might be a good time to fish one.
The last hour of light>dark (read last 20 min.) can be pretty good with PMD's, and Caddis too. Fish with your thermometer.
Good time of year for a red/white headlight. It allows you to stay in the game, tying on flies, even after dark. Reduces mini epics getting back to the car as well.
Soon to come, low flows..... fish now.

Jim

Bigfly