The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 PM

jwilcher is on a distinguished road
Default re: Truckee river (CA not NV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
JW, you just let me know, I'll take some time out from fishing, to go fishin' wit ya.
Always looking for a change in my routine. Don't want to fall into a rut!
Hey.... a client without waders turned over a river rock from shore. A largish Golden stone nymph was surprised to suddenly be exposed to the air. He was almost ready to pop (and we think we have problems). Might be a good time to fish one.
The last hour of light>dark (read last 20 min.) can be pretty good with PMD's, and Caddis too. Fish with your thermometer.
Good time of year for a red/white headlight. It allows you to stay in the game, tying on flies, even after dark. Reduces mini epics getting back to the car as well.
Soon to come, low flows..... fish now.

Jim
I've been fishing the canyon as it's staying cool. Soon the water will be too warm
let me know when you are available. I have a CA license as well and should be free all next week. Early or late your choice
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Been working way too much lately and not doing any fishing except the occasional jaunt up to the lake for a couple hours. Buddy and I are going out tomorrow morning, lord willing, and trying our luck west of town on the truckee. I did pull one out east of town the other day after work (got out for an hour). I will let you know how the dawn patrol does tomorrow afternoon.

dave
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about

It was bloody windy today. Did you get on the water at all?

Last edited by hangin chad; 08-29-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Got out early for 2 hours before the wind kicked up last Saturday, landed 4 on the river, west of town using cinnamon and green wooly buggers drifted at the end of the riffles. Kind of a crawfish imitation.

Dave
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Hopin to get out tomorrow, similar river conditions, going to try the same fly combo, see if the crawdad molt is in full swing yet. I have a couple other patterns I want to try as well. I have always had good luck with copper johns, prince nymphs, and the cinammon bugger on the truckee. The coppers and nymphs tend to work better in the slower water, the buggers and hares ears (tied big and bulky with lead) tend to work well at the bottom of the riffles. I have never had good luck in the riffles themselves trying to fish below the surface, though I have had a hit or two on a big EHC when a hatch was coming off, but even those hits tend to come as the fly is swinging.

I gotta learn to fish the pocket water a little better, I am catching some nice fish with what I do now, so have not pushed myself hard enough, gonna have to learn to fish the fast water sooner or later, or resign myself to missing the big fish I know are in there.

d
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

Not to derail the thread, but I have to ask....

Is fishing the Truckee in say, early to mid November-ish, out of the question?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Mr.Muffley, you can't derail this thread, it's been tried.
In my experience, the fish can't leave the water, and must keep eating, albeit with a smaller menu.
It is legal to fish it on the CA side, all year.
So the issue after snow fall, is challenging access for parking, difficult approach
(snow shoes reccomended), and figuring out how to hit them on the nose with the tidbit they want.
I've seen magic every month of the year on this river, Dry midges in Dec. and BWO's in Jan. during snowflurries. I'm pretty sure Nov. will produce too.
It isn't drive up fishing, but sweet when it happens.
Not much company either.
Give it a go.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I mainly only fish the Truckee that time of year because there are way less people to deal with and driving through snow, if there is any, isn't a problem for me. If you do hook up in the winter months it's usually going to be with a bigger fish and I have found that the bigger ones like streamers in colder water.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM

ditto to what Packfancjh says, I love to fish the truckee (Nevada side) in the winter. Very few people on the water, fish will still bite and while there is not as many during an outing, they ones you do catch are typically larger. I have fished and gotten skunked, but most of the time you can catch at least one in a couple hour outing.

The nicest thing on our side of the border is that during the winter, snow, rain, etc, there is virtually nobody else on the river, nice, quiet, relaxing even if you frequent the "parks" where it is drive up fishing.

Dave
Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Time to fish! Temps coming down, fish movin' round.
Lots of PMD's evenings, along with a ton of smidges.
Crays are about done up here, a few golden stones still around.
If it warms in the PM, and gets windy, drown a Hopper.
Try something very small too (22), WD40, micro may, red john, etc....
The river above town is a very fishable 100 and clear,
canyon flowing at 4-500 cfs, and slightly off color..
Nice fish, and nobody around, what more can a FF want?

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-12-2010 at 11:18 AM.