The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM

cornfedguy is on a distinguished road
Default High lakes above Mammoth

Hey guys,

I've been reading these posts for some time now and taken away some great info, but this is my first post. I'm headed up to backpack the Thousand Island Lakes loop in June and was planning on taking 4-5 days to make the loop, spending as much time as possible fishing along the way. Would anyone be willing to give up some info on which lakes and streams are better than others up there, or which patterns work best? I've never taken my gear on these high country trips and I'm hoping someone will share!

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High lakes above Mammoth

cornfedguy: Welcome to the forum! Love that moniker by the way! I can't help you with the lakes above Mammoth, but I'm sure others on the forum will share some knowledge. You might also try calling one of the local fly shops for information: The Troutfitter Mammoth Lakes, California
Be sure to post a fishing report when you return, good luck with your trip!

Larry
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Hey Larry,

Yes, if you ever saw me you'd know the moniker certainly fits me. I've shopped at the troutfitter before, love that store! The staff was great and they have everything there. I almost arranged for a guide last year through them for the Owens, but things didn't work out. I'll definatley hit them up on the way. Thanks again!

Brian
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

The guys at Troutfitters have told me in the past that they fish with the really small flies; #24 to #28 midges; etc. I've had luck with #16, #18 PTN's in that area (streams).

Last edited by Jimmie; 04-28-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added streams
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

CF guy, welcome!
Go as light as possible, bit of a hill climb at the start. I think a bear can is required now, you can rent or buy, it does add weight.
In early June it may be a bit chilly this year, but fewer mosquitos then.
I would get on the trail very early, you will hike in the sun for a ways, until you get over the first bench. Later when it is very warm, I do it at night, cooler to hike with a pack.
You will see small Hoppers lower down. The guys up above will eat them too.
Hopper dropper is worth a try. Have a few that match the local bugs, some extras for the bushes too.
Small is good in high pressure areas. I might take a sink tip to fish the drop offs.
Vsmall minnow pattern, leech, etc. Fish the structure, boulders/logs.
Cast an indy into the creek, then let it drift into the lake.
Should work. Try different retrieve rates, from near motionless to fast, and everything in between.
You'll need water filter. Maybe apply early for BackCounrty permit. Otherwise, first come first served at ranger station. Give them a call.
Nice area, enjoy!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Hey Guys, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate the help. I'll post some fish reports once I get back. Hopefully the bite will be on!

Hey Bigfly, I checked out your website the other day.... looks like you really kwow your stuff. I hired a guide last summer to fish the upper O and Hot Creek.... his advice and knowledge was worth it's weight in gold! I can't say enough about hiring a guide. If I ever come up to the Truckee River area I'll kick some business your way.

CF
Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 PM

rufustf is on a distinguished road

I have done the river trail hike to thousand island lake out of agnew meadows about 5 or 6 times. You'll love it. Don't overlook garnet lake, it's the best of the bunch on that hike, with excellent fishing. The outlet of the lake has lots of fish.
The hike from the San Joaqin up to garnet is a tough one and not well marked, though you may be taking another route, and the connecting streams from ruby lake to garnet are mere trickles, so for stream/river fishing the outlets of the lakes that are going directly to the san joaqin are your best bets.
I've mostly spin casted up there but can assure you the fishing is excellent and they don't seem particular by any means. Let me know if you have any questions as I've gotten to know that area quite well.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

CF, thanks for going to my site, call anytime.
The great part about this site is a guy like rufstf who will show you around his back yard.
Enjoy your trip. A telescopic spin rod, and some sm/med clear casting bobbers might be good..
Fill with water and bomb the middle of the lake with a Hopper at mid day.
Not that I've ever done that.

Jim

Bigfly