The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road
Default Day Trips from Montrose/La Crescenta/La Canada Flintridge area

Hello, everyone. I'm new to flyfishing in southern california. I've fly fished my whole life (I'm 25 years old with 21 years of flycasting and 18 years of fly tying under my belt!) but I'm new to the area. I live in Montrose and I was wondering about some nice places to go for the day. I don't really think of southern california as a fly fishing destination (I grew up in montana, utah, and pennsylvania), but I suspect there are some unsung gems out there that I don't know about yet.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Day Trips from Montrose/La Crescenta/La Canada Flintridge area

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I don't know your first name or I'd say Hi that way. We have a good CA. membership here so I suspect your answers will be forthcoming. Diver Dan lived in San Diego for years and he may have some suggestions for you. I don't know how close that is to Montrose but............ You have joined a good forum group here, you will discover the Share Patterns forum no doubt and may want to share some PA., UT., And MT. favorites there.

I'll keep an eye peeled for your posts,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 AM

How could I forget that? My name is Chris.

Montrose is just north of Los Angeles, right at the edge of the mountains. I have a feeling there are some nice trout in these mountains.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM

kg6bws is on a distinguished road

Hi there Chris. While Im not new to California, born and raised native, Im fairly new to fly fishing. My normal haunts include the Kern River and the Eastern Sierras, Ill do as far north as Bishop as a day run, further than that and I camp. About a 3.5 hour drive to Kern and about 5 or so to Bishop, from the Greater LA area. I live in Lancaster so its only about 2/2.5 and 3.5/4 hours for me.

Closer to Montrose, theres Piru Creek (Castaic), Sespe Creek and Matilija Creek (Ventura), the San Gabriel River forks (Azusa), and Bouquet Canyon Creek (Santa Clarita). IVe never fished any of these but am really wanting too. Bouquet Creek is really small and tight, not much of fly fishing stream although it can be done and its right on the roadside. The rest of these Ive heard some good things about.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM

That's a lot to get me started, thanks! I'm going to check out the west fork of the san gabriel tomorrow. I'm excited. I've lived here for 3 years and haven't fished once. I've been spending all of my time either working or looking for work (I work freelance).
Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Hey Chris,

It seems many of the people in this forum are kind of in the same boat. I had some fishing experience prior to coming to CA, but just recently got back into it. Anyway, to try and answer your question...

The West Fork of the San Gabriel River is the one place I've been to, and I had a lot of fun. I live in Pasadena, which isn't far from where you are, and I can be at the river in 35 minutes from my house. There is an access road that parallels the river and you basically hike in and fish wherever. Lots of small trout on dry flies the last time I went.

The road actually goes in 7 miles to a reservoir, but when I went a couple of weeks ago it was closed 2 miles in at the "2nd bridge." From mile 2 to the reservoir may be open now, but don't expect the ranger station on the way in to know anything. Best to go and find out yourself.

Last weekend I was heading up to Ventura and decided to divert inland to Sespe Creek, which is located in the mountains above Ojai. Ventura was 64 degrees, and by the time I got to the Sespe Trailhead it was a whopping 104degrees.

Yikes.

Anyway, the creek was running really low and I didn't even pull out my flyrod. I asked some people who were hiking along the Sespe River Trail about conditions further down, and they said there were some bigger pockets a couple miles in. So basically, unless you're into hiking in 100 degree heat to find a couple of deep pools, I would pass on Sespe until the rains come in the fall/winter.

I'll probably be heading up to Big Bear this weekend or next to that area and will report back with what I find.

Good luck,

Gusto
Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
Hey Chris,

It seems many of the people in this forum are kind of in the same boat. I had some fishing experience prior to coming to CA, but just recently got back into it. Anyway, to try and answer your question...

The West Fork of the San Gabriel River is the one place I've been to, and I had a lot of fun. I live in Pasadena, which isn't far from where you are, and I can be at the river in 35 minutes from my house. There is an access road that parallels the river and you basically hike in and fish wherever. Lots of small trout on dry flies the last time I went.

The road actually goes in 7 miles to a reservoir, but when I went a couple of weeks ago it was closed 2 miles in at the "2nd bridge." From mile 2 to the reservoir may be open now, but don't expect the ranger station on the way in to know anything. Best to go and find out yourself.

Last weekend I was heading up to Ventura and decided to divert inland to Sespe Creek, which is located in the mountains above Ojai. Ventura was 64 degrees, and by the time I got to the Sespe Trailhead it was a whopping 104degrees.

Yikes.

Anyway, the creek was running really low and I didn't even pull out my flyrod. I asked some people who were hiking along the Sespe River Trail about conditions further down, and they said there were some bigger pockets a couple miles in. So basically, unless you're into hiking in 100 degree heat to find a couple of deep pools, I would pass on Sespe until the rains come in the fall/winter.

I'll probably be heading up to Big Bear this weekend or next to that area and will report back with what I find.

Good luck,

Gusto
Any tips for fishing the San Gabriel?? Im working in Pico Rivera, and I stay with my grandmother during the week in Pasadena. WIth my commute being up Rosemead, Ive been thinking of heading over there one day after work to try it out.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:18 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Just got back from the West Fork this morning. The road is now open past the 2nd bridge (2 mile marker). I took my mountain bike and went probably about 4.5 to 5 miles from the trailhead.

I've been using mostly dry flies, but today I wanted to try some nymphs and work some of the deeper pools to try and entice some bigger fish.

Well... didn't catch anything really big, mostly 5-7 inch rainbows, with one 7 inch brownie. There has to be some bigger fish in some of the those deeper pockets, though... just have to find them.

If you're going during the week, crowding won't be an issue. Even today, Sunday, I only saw 4 fisherman past the 2 mile marker, and maybe 2 or 3 more on the way out.

I would recommend taking a bike an exploring some of the deeper pools. Or, if you're just into catching a bunch of fish, work some of the calmer water with drys. (Wulfs, Adams, Ants, and EH caddis have all worked).

There's just so many different little spots to explore!

Gusto
Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Just got back from the West Fork this morning. The road is now open past the 2nd bridge (2 mile marker). I took my mountain bike and went probably about 4.5 to 5 miles from the trailhead.

I've been using mostly dry flies, but today I wanted to try some nymphs and work some of the deeper pools to try and entice some bigger fish.

Well... didn't catch anything really big, mostly 5-7 inch rainbows, with one 7 inch brownie. There has to be some bigger fish in some of the those deeper pockets, though... just have to find them.

If you're going during the week, crowding won't be an issue. Even today, Sunday, I only saw 4 fisherman past the 2 mile marker, and maybe 2 or 3 more on the way out.

I would recommend taking a bike an exploring some of the deeper pools. Or, if you're just into catching a bunch of fish, work some of the calmer water with drys. (Wulfs, Adams, Ants, and EH caddis have all worked).

There's just so many different little spots to explore!

Gusto
Sounds good, may try it out this week one day. Hopefully Ill be able to get off work in time to get some fishing in before dark.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 PM

dubl haul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
with one 7 inch brownie
huh? there are no browns there just wild rainbows please release all fish.

Andy