The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM

mack_s is on a distinguished road
Default Hit the West fork of the San Gabrial River this weekend.

Had a great time!! Missed more fish than I can count.

Sorry, no pictures this time...

Got there around 7AM and the parking area was full so we had to cross the bridge and park. It turned out that the WFSG Conservators were there to do a clean up. Kudos to them!!! We walkd up the trail 3 miles and began to fish our way back. Saw a ton of fish in the river. Ranging in size form a few inches to about a foot in length. A lot of Caddis were hatching through out the day and we had action on top as well as below the surface. The hot patttern earlier in the week as a small Elk Hair Caddis with an orange body. But of course I didn't tye any up with orange so I used a light yellow/olive color and I don't think the trout cared. They did care about the nymphs I was throwing and I got several refuseals. I think that was more due to the slow current in the pools and they had plenty of time to decide on it. Anyway, my best method of the day was an upstream cast and drifting the Caddis back to me. Had to strip pretty fast to get the slack out of the line, but not too much so as not to effect the drift. There were some explosive takes hitting the fly and it was an epic day to be out. I haven't had that much fun in a long time. Can't wait to go back!!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 PM

mark_griffin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit the West fork of the San Gabrial River this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_s View Post
Anyway, my best method of the day was an upstream cast and drifting the Caddis back to me. Had to strip pretty fast to get the slack out of the line, but not too much so as not to effect the drift.
Something to try next time - Cast up, let it drift past you and swing downstream with the current. Pause for a second when your slack is gone, then dip the rods tip under water and strip the fly back to you. When you get your leader a few feet from the tip, stop stripping, then slowly raise the tip and let the fly rise in the current. You'll add a lot more strikes to your day. They really like to hit it on the rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_s View Post
It turned out that the WFSG Conservators were there to do a clean up. Kudos to them!!!

Thanks Mack, nice to see someone notices!

Did you see the "fishing information" table at the 2nd bridge? We did stream samples as soon as we got there and had bugs there for the fishermen to check out as they came over the bridge to the C&R area. It worked out great as we were able to shorten a few learning curves, plus we were able to contact every fisherman entering the "protected" area.

Click the image to open in full size.

A few of the baitsters that we encounter up-river (especially in that pool near the bridge) claim to have never seen a sign about the special regs. There has been money sitting for years to construct a "special regulations" kiosk at the second bridge, but it's caught up in Federal red tape. We found a simple, temporary fix by simple using "white boards" that stay out while we're up there.

Click the image to open in full size.

That one is suspended from the bridge, pointing down stream. Kinda hard to miss wading upstream. lol Patrols later that day found ZERO bait fishermen up river as compared to 20+ the last time we set up a Saturday Patrol without the presence at the 2nd bridge.

Rotating a patrol team down near the trailhead makes a big difference in the way that looks at the end of the day too. A little "uniformed presence" goes a long way!

Please introduce yourself the next time you see us up there. The guys are always glad to share current fishing conditions, and seriously appreciate a pat on the back from a fellow fly fisherman.

Last edited by mark_griffin; 06-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Sounds like a great day on the water and Kudos to Mark Griffin and crew.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

Hey Mark-

Thanks for the tip!! I'll try that techinque next time. I did notice that alot of the trout we could see were feeding just below the surface on emergers. I was just too stuck in a rut to change flys as it was so much fun.

We did stop and talk with Ed at the booth on our way out. Super nice guy!! And full of great info!! We checked out the jared river samples and flys on display. It's amazing how large some of the nymphs are in the river. Everyone always seems to be using small flys, like #16's and #18's, but I found a couple of stonefly shucks that were about an inch long. My sampling of the river showed most nymphs were most likly size #12 to #10, if not a few #8's in there. There were alot of small sized #18 and smaller rock worms/caddis in ther too.

Everybody we met driving by doing their patrols was super nice and offered up advice. We only saw one other fisherman (spin fishing) the whole time we are up stream from the bridge. I didn't notice the sign though...probably because we were walking back.

You guys are doing a great job out there!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 AM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

Love the West Fork! It's an absolute jewel. It's great that there is a conservancy to help protect such a unique place.