The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 AM

patze003 is on a distinguished road
Default Vallejo Trip - Saltwater & High Sierras

Everyone -

I will be traveling to the bay area the last weekend in August. I am an intermediate Midwest fly fisherman (mainly trout). I was hoping to get out in the surf to do some striper fishing and then maybe a day of trout in the high sierras. A few questions.....

1. Almost no experience with salt. Do I need a guide? Alternatively would anyone in the forum be interested in a fishing buddy for a morning? Could I research and learn everything I need to know for stripers and technique?

2. If I don't need a guide, where around Vallejo/bay area should I go?

3. Could I hit the high sierras like Yosemite in a reasonable amount of time like 1 day? I assume I wouldn't need a guide since my background is trout, is this accurate?

4. What else do I need to know?

5. What essential gear for salt?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vallejo Trip - Saltwater & High Sierras

I'll certainly give you points for ambition! Your time frame to accomplish these endeavours is probably too short given the travel times, unless you have big bux and a helo. I would do the surf/striper thing and look into hiring a guide if you can't buddy up with someone. DIY in the Pacific surf can be daunting if not downright dangerous. milt.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

As for gear, just a suggestion:
Rod: 6 - 8 weight rods are all acceptable, but if you hook a big striper, leopard shark, halibut, or big piece of kelp and only have a 6 weight, you could be unhappy. Use a 8 or 9 weight.
Line: Generally you will use a sinking line, intermediate or faster sink. I prefer something faster than intermediate, to quickly cut down below the waves and not have the line thrown back at me. However there are a few that prefer intermediate, even floating.
Stripping basket: Is a must have
Heres a couple of links that will help with the surf.
www.surf-perch.net
Glenn Yoshimoto's Zen Fly Fishing

And Milt is right on about this "Pacific surf can be daunting if not downright dangerous"

Yosemite:
A one day trip to that area to do other than sight seeing without a guide is impossible, finding lodging is the same this time of year.

All the best, hope everything turns out well.

Rick
Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

With the valley rivers going strong, I would spend the money on drift. The Lower Sac near Redding will probably be the best place to fish for the rest of the year. You will have your shots at numbers of large trout. If the Lower Yuba continues its pattern, you will have shots at large trout on top and summer run Steelhead down in the holes.

If you want to do something really fun, try fly fishing for Striped Bass out of a drift boat. I like to fish the American river for stripers into September. The schools will still be around, but there will be more shots at 15 pound plus fish. I usually do better fishing topwater this time of year.

If you want to fish Yosemite, I highly suggest hiring Jimmie Morales out of Yosemite Rivers Fly Shop. He has a highly regarded reputation of being the guide to hire for the region.

I won't repeat what Milt and Oarfish said. They covered it pretty well.

Dennis
Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

This was in this months news letter of the ffish club I belong to, sorry no pictures.

Rick

* July 15th - Lower Sacramento River - Tim Loomis

After the adventure with guide extraordinaire - Rich Rubin on the Little Sur River a few weeks ago little has come my way in the form of fly fishing opportunities. That is until last Friday, when last month's guest speaker called to say he had an open seat on his boat for an evening drift down the Lower Sac and was I interested. He hadn't even put the phone down and I was half way up Hwy 80 on my way to Redding. An Achilles tendon injury had taken me out of fishing the hex hatch at Lake Almanor for the first time in 13 years. Needless to say, I was extremely "fish horny". Aaron Grabiel's call couldn't have come at a better time. As I was I pulling into Aaron's driveway, Aaron's dad pulled up and announced that he was to be my partner on his son's boat. For the entire evening I had stereo Grabiel. If, as a kid, you had issues with your dad then there is no better job to have than to be a guide and have your dad as a client on your boat. As the guide you get total pay back. "Dad, set, set, set!" Or, better yet, "no, dad, cast to your other right." I must have heard a kazillion snappy directives given by son to father.
I still don't know what I enjoyed more, the fishing (it was on fire) or listening to the rapport between father and son. Dad just happens to be an experienced ER doctor at the local hospital, so you would think that he wouldn't take kindly to having his son order him around. And yet, he took the advice given to him and we went merrily on our way down the Lower Sac pulling in trout after trout. We nymphed until the evening caddis hatch started and switched over to dries to complete what turned out to be an extremely entertaining evening.
Oh, by the way. Aaron Grabiel happens to be one of the hot up and coming, next generation of young fly fishing guides in the Redding area. With my job in the fly fish business, I have had many guides and yet Aaron stands out as one of the premier trout finders in Northern California. To make a guiding date with Aaron, call or e-mail him at Grabiel's Guide Service, Aaron Grabiel, 530-356-2189, norcalguide@gmail.com.