The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 PM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Fly fishing SF Bay

I would say that be a miserably cold outing. The water is like 54 to 58 degrees. I use to play in it as a kid but, that was on warm days. Besides I've noticed, that when it's a sunny day the don't bite as well. What make sense to me is that it gets harder for the fish to see with the sunlight reflecting off of all that turbulent surf. I just got back from Stinson. The perch are definety in. I must have landed 15 and lost about as many. I caught 4 nice dungoness crab also.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher46 View Post
I would say that be a miserably cold outing. The water is like 54 to 58 degrees. I use to play in it as a kid but, that was on warm days. Besides I've noticed, that when it's a sunny day the don't bite as well. What make sense to me is that it gets harder for the fish to see with the sunlight reflecting off of all that turbulent surf. I just got back from Stinson. The perch are definety in. I must have landed 15 and lost about as many. I caught 4 nice dungoness crab also.
That was a miserable outing without waders. I forgot to do the quote thing. I've tried all the shooting line set ups. In my humble opinion, the ridge line - airflo is the best. It helps reduce tangles, its easy to finger w your stripping hand, you can see it, it slips through ur guides smoothly and it makes that over hang point longer. Making the over hang longer let's you concentrate on were your putting your fly rather then casting. Also, it's nice if you need another false cast to het the shacks out of your line for whatever reason. Your line has got to be flying smooth it you want to lay ur line out straight.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfgraphics View Post
I'm thinking of trying to fish Pacifica or Half Moon Bay. Can I get away with fishing there without waders? And, would WF floating line work in the area?
I'm using my Iphone. It's kinda hard to use the little functions here. Sorry for the little errors.
I hope zenflyfishing does not get taken down
I gave a reply to the waders thing
the guy who wrote about being careful and awake! Absolutely right! I try not to go much deeper then my knees. Less, down by moss landing. I should were a vest.I don't though. Never take yours eyes off the waves. That's when theyll get you. At Stinson today, some of the far breakers were 12'? At the face. I back up fast until the set calms down when those form.
I think a 1/4 wetsuit wud be safer then waders but, I wear waders.
to get under the waves and not have the line come back to you in the wash, you have to time ur cast in between sets and get it down.
as far as that floating line. You'd be limiting urself. I use a fast sinking shoot heads. A 10 wt- 320- 300- on a 8 wt. Those integrated ones are good too. I use to use a 325 sink tip scientific anglers . It was good but the airflo is nicer.
Use a 5' ish leader too. It helps to keep ur fly down and it easier to turn over. Hope that helps