The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM

patze003 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing SF Bay

Everyone -

I am looking for someone to teach my the ways of fly fishing the surf. I can't afford a guide service so I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to take me out and teach me the way of the surf the last weekend in August. I could provide a modest fee, or at least lunch and some flies. Personal message me or respond here, it would be greatly appreciated.

My main experience is fly fishing for trout in spring creeks (obviously very different) with a couple bonefish outings a few years back.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing SF Bay

I hope you do get some offers and/or suggestions from some of our CA locals-- Dennis (member Mosca Pescador) works at a fly shop in out that way in Citrus Heights FLY FISHING SPECIALTIES The site has area fishing reports, and he's a wealth of information and a great contributor to NAFFF.

If you're going to be in SF itself, you might also want to stop in at Leyland fpr some advice and suggestions. Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters - Contact our knowledgable staff for any Fly Fishing question!

And while you're in SF you might also want to check out the Fly casting pool at Golden Gate Park Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club - The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club

Although it hasn't been updated in awhile, Glenn Yoshimoto's site has a wealth of information about fishing the surf out there, and some great info on some of the local beaches:

Glenn Yoshimoto's Zen Fly Fishing

He also has some recommendations for gear-- some of it very specialized for the local surf perch- Since you're just looking at a short trip, use the fly lines you'd plan on using in "real life" rather than trying to tie up a bunch of lead core shooting heads-- whatever you have on your reel should be fine including a floater. But if you do decide to hit the beaches pretty hard, you could add some kind of a poly leader like these by AirFlo and have the guys at the shop suggest one that would work for you (sink rate and length) Airflo Fishing Fly Fishing Leaders

One suggestion that would be a good idea is a stripping basket. This will keep our slack fly line out of the water and allow you to get better distance as you shoot the line through your guides (since it eliminates the friction of pulling the slack line through water-- and current). You can easily make your own, I just use a rubbermaid dishpan and shock cords.

(I'll take some pics and post a FAQ on basic surf fishing gear tomorrow).

For flies it looks like anything shrimp or crablike in a size 4 or 6 would be good for surf perch, so if you have something in that size like Foxee Clousers tied on stainless hooks for smallmouth, they'd be worth throwing.

For stripers stuff like clousers and deceivers in size 2-1/0 would probably work great if there are some bass around, and of course you could use them on other stuff at home smallmouth, largemouth, pike etc.

Good luck, let us know how you do out there.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the new FAQ on surf fishing gear that might help a bit:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post303976
Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I'm also wanting to fish the surf and around the bay's flats. I have been talking with a guy who fishes the bay for striper and halibut on the fly and it sounds like alot of fun. He's told me of spots that are wadeable and very fishy, I just have to try to get him to take me. My problem is the same as yours I don't know where to go, I've never fished anywhere in the bay except for the Berkley pier. If I can get a trip or two in and get some of the basic's down I'll be more than happy to share them with you, but until then I'm not of much help just interested like you.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:27 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

Just a heads up, if you aren't familiar with the northern CA coast, be very careful. SF Bay, and norcal surf, are two different animals. Sounds like you have a bunch of options, and a lot of determination. I caution you, beach to beach, coastal hydraulics change rapidly. If you fish the surf, and you are learning the gear, and focusing on your line, and your fly, it can get really easy to forget the unique way the norcal coast eats people that are less than knee deep. Happens way too often. Be safe, have fun, find a buddy, but buddies don't make you safe. Too many times in that area, one wet beach goer becomes two lost souls, as the other tries to do the right thing at the wrong spot. Get your info straight and have a great time. Many safe ways to take advantage of it, and I hope you catch a new species and learn some new toolbox info.

-
Jonesy

Last edited by chrome_jones; 08-20-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Having someone along that can show you the ropes will certainly help get you up to speed---- but don't be afraid to get out there on your own too--- especially if no one is available to take you along.

I should also clarify a bit that there's a big difference between fishing the surf zone (with waves) and fishing "the inside"-- estuaries, the inside of inlets, river mouths and sheltered tidal flats where there tends to be more obvious structure and are generally a bit easier to fish.

The surf zone, especially along sandy beaches rather than rocky shore lines can be tough -- with a lack of permanent structure, fish tend to be highly mobile and the conditions you'll encounter of waves and wind can make fishing very difficult. Although there will be some structure along a sandy beach, it can often be subtle to the eye-- and may all change as a result of storms, wind/swell direction and tide/current stage etc. So unless you actually see fish crashing or birds screaming and diving over schools of baitfish, it can be hard to know where to begin when staring into the ocean. There's a lot of water-- most of it empty.

On the "About Beaches" page of Glenn Yoshimoto's zenflyfishing site mentioned in an earlier post there is a hyperlink to "Finding Fish" about halfway down the page-- if you click on that it'll take you to some useful info about reading a beach and identifying areas by patterns of wave breaks that are more likely to hold fish than other sections of beach because they will tend to funnel bait. Like fishing for trout in streams, often the best places to target are the seams where two different speeds (or directions) of current meet.

Here's some more info for you about reading a beach-- although originally written for surfcasters on the east coast targeting drum and stripers, the same info applies to fly fishers fishing the surf zone in CA for surf perch. Learn to recognize sloughs/troughs, bars, cuts and holes and you'll be well on your way to identifying the 10% of a beach that is likely to be the most productive.
Reading the water...

These structures may only appear at certain stages of tide, (it is often best to read a beach at lowest tide for future reference), but the best fishing usually occurs when the water is moving rather than slack.

Structure tends to be much more obvious when fishing inside, in more sheltered waters out of the surf zone (in estuaries, inlets, river mouths, flats in the delta etc.) or off points and jetties. If there are no local fly shops in the area, a bait and tackle shop (or weekly fishing mag) might be a good way to find out about easily accessible, wadeable areas for light tackle fishing-- for people tossing 1 oz plugs or bucktails or fishing cut bait for surf perch using 8-9' rods (rather than the bigger rods used in the high surf for distance)---- these are often the same types of spots that are perfect for fly rodders. And unlike the surf zone where the wind is often in your teeth, the force and direction of the wind inside inlets, on the lee of points etc can be much more manageable.

Once you've identified a beach or area as maybe worth exploring, check it out on Google Earth to identify structure and specific places to target. Often you'll see structure on the satellite pics that are not obvious from land.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road

Everytime Ive looked at Glenn Yoshimotos site, I'm so thankful. That guy put so much thought and awesome info into that site. I've never met him but, I've met guys who have. They all say what a great guy he is. The site hasn't had any updates for a long time because I hear he has been fighting a serious illness. He really has put the time into the surf. I hope it does get taken down. I'd put up some cake to see that doesn't happen. He really instills a sense of reverence for the enviroment. Zenflyfishing was an awesome choice for a site name. I'm a better fisherman because of him.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road

Private message me. I'll go with you. I go quite a lot. I want to make a trip to Stinson beach. I hear it can be great for perch. I'm no Glenn Y. But, I've been know to catch a few. Ridge line makes a great shooting line for the surf. The guys at the san Carlos fly shop are very help full. I use a 3 second site and a 6 sec. Shooting head. It depends on how much current is in the surf and which specie I'm trying for. My schedule is a little hampered by work and stuff right now. It's usually a short notice opportunity for me to go
But....
Old 10-01-2011, 11:41 AM

alfgraphics is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to alfgraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher46 View Post
Private message me. I'll go with you. I go quite a lot. I want to make a trip to Stinson beach. I hear it can be great for perch. I'm no Glenn Y. But, I've been know to catch a few. Ridge line makes a great shooting line for the surf. The guys at the san Carlos fly shop are very help full. I use a 3 second site and a 6 sec. Shooting head. It depends on how much current is in the surf and which specie I'm trying for. My schedule is a little hampered by work and stuff right now. It's usually a short notice opportunity for me to go
But....
I'm thinking of trying to fish Pacifica or Half Moon Bay. Can I get away with fishing there without waders? And, would WF floating line work in the area?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher46 View Post
But....
Thats the californiaflyshop in San Carlos. About Stinson beach, if you've never been there please do its a beautiful part of the states coast line. It's a hard place to fish, go early if it's fogie there will be no wind, after the fog the wind is hard and steady.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfgraphics View Post
I'm thinking of trying to fish Pacifica or Half Moon Bay. Can I get away with fishing there without waders? And, would WF floating line work in the area?
I'd pick Pacifica over Half Moon Bay, much more beach to work with. You'll need to get wet if your flying the coast, I'll leave the waders up tp you. The line you chose depends on water conditions but yes you can use a floater but fish when the tide is on the way out.

Rick