The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 AM

kingkenny04 is on a distinguished road
Default New to board, Fly Fishing Near Merced?

Howdy all! I'm heading up to Merced to stay with some friends for a couple weeks in October and I'd like to get out and do some fly fishing during the week (they're college students). I've heard the Tuolumne and Merced rivers are decent, but I'm wondering if they're not too hard on beginners? I haven't handled a fly rod in almost three years (Marine Corps got in the way of that), and even when I did, I was just starting out and had few opportunities to get out and fish. Hiring a guide is not possible for me (E3's don't make a whole lot). Any tips or needs-to-know? Google is failing me hard.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to board, Fly Fishing Near Merced?

Welcome kk04! I cannot help you out with the westslope rivers but you will get some help here. Should be prime this fall. milt.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Yosemite Fly Fishing - Fishing Trip Yosemite and New Zealand with Tim Hutchings, trout fishing, visit Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Fly Fishing Guide - Yosemite National Park in the High Sierras

Hi...both of these guys have excellent reputations. Call them and I'm sure they'll be able to help you find water you'll enjoy...good luck and thanks for your service!

-Mike
Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM

kingkenny04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Yosemite Fly Fishing - Fishing Trip Yosemite and New Zealand with Tim Hutchings, trout fishing, visit Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Fly Fishing Guide - Yosemite National Park in the High Sierras

Hi...both of these guys have excellent reputations. Call them and I'm sure they'll be able to help you find water you'll enjoy...good luck and thanks for your service!

-Mike
I can't really afford a guide, E3's make almost nothing. If I just shot them an e-mail would they still be willing to make some suggestions?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I think they'll answer. You can also just call and explain your situation and they would give you the rundown on water and flies to use. Not suggesting they'd give you all their secrets, but if they won't help out a service man wanting to catch a few trout then I'd like to know that about them. It would end my recommendation of them.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM

dcmcmill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkenny04 View Post
I can't really afford a guide, E3's make almost nothing. If I just shot them an e-mail would they still be willing to make some suggestions?
i don't think anyone can afford a guide these days!!! like many of the river systems around here, my bank account is in a "rebuilding year" as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to the forum, you may well be able to find members here who can help you figure out where to fish in this area. I hope you'll continue to post with us because we'll reply to an E3 just as well as if you were a general

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM

khende is on a distinguished road

You are very close, to the Kings River. I have fished in Kings Canyon National Park, Cedar Grove area for decades. There are plenty of 8 to 12 inch rainbows, browns in this area of the river. There are larger fish including big brown trout. Great camoing and scenery. There is also accsess above the Pine Flat Reservoir

Plenty of info on the web about the Kings both upper and lower.