The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Take Action: Ask Gov. Brown to Remove Rogers from Fish and Game Commission

A message from KeepAmericaFishing.org

Ask Governor Brown to Remove Richard Rogers from the California Fish and Game Commission. Rogers' voting record shows he is no friend to California's sportfishing community or the state's economy.

Background
At a time when California faces record unemployment levels, Governor Brown can take one simple action to remove a major impediment to the state's economy – remove Richard Rogers from the Fish and Game Commission.

Even though his term expired on January 15, 2011, Rogers continues to sit on the Commission because the Governor has yet to appoint a replacement. Since his 2005 appointment, Rogers has been one of the most vocal supporters of the anti-job and anti-fishing Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative. We urge Governor Brown to take action and name a new commissioner to take Rogers' seat.

The MLPA is a controversial program that threatens sportfishing in California, and the businesses and 20,000 jobs that depend on it, by unnecessarily closing large areas of the ocean to recreational fishing. The MLPA is costing California jobs and harming communities and businesses, while ignoring the real problems affecting California's coastal waters, such as coastal development, habitat loss and pollution.

On December 15, 2010, Rogers was one of three commissioners who voted in favor of a wide-ranging array of marine protected areas, essentially no-fishing zones, along the southern California coast. Other MLPA regulations – which Rogers also supported – are already in place and have cost jobs and fishing opportunity in California's Central and North Central Coast regions. Because of the flawed nature of the MLPA process, these regulations are currently being challenged in the courts.

The Partnership for Sustainable Oceans believes that Governor Brown should replace Rogers with a commissioner who understands his or her responsibility to conserve California's natural resources, understands the role of anglers in conservation and takes into account the impact of regulations on California's citizens, its economy and jobs for working families.

What You Can Do?
Click here to ask Governor Brown to remove Richard Rogers from the California Fish and Game Commission. Send your message today!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Take Action: Ask Gov. Brown to Remove Rogers from Fish and Game Commission

A counterpoint on the MLPA from Patagonia's Yvon Chouinard-

Quote:
This philosophy of responsible enterprise has taught me my most important lesson as a businessman: Doing the right thing for the environment makes for good, financially sound business. At Patagonia we’ve found that every time we’ve elected to do the right thing, even when it costs twice as much, it’s turned out to be more profitable in the long run. It has allowed us to contribute to conservation organizations working on behalf of the world’s natural areas and wildlife, including the marine life in California’s coastal waters through the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA).

The ocean and the sea life it sustains are a part of our natural heritage and should be managed in trust for future generations, yet less than one percent of the ocean is protected. Each year the fish get smaller and less numerous. This is a disturbing trend we are seeing in oceans worldwide, and reminds me of the growing pains Patagonia went through as a company in the 1980s. As we grew, we exceeded our resources and limitations. We had become dependent on growth we couldn’t sustain, and it forced us to rethink our priorities and institute new practices.

Similarly, the fishery management tools we have cannot restore the size and diversity of species that existed just a few decades ago. Marine Protected Areas (MPAs), however, have proven to be an effective tool for restoring this balance and improving overall ocean health.
The Santa Barbara Independent Set Gold Standard for Ocean Health Care

I've not studied the matter enough to take either side, I just wanted to throw it out there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take Action: Ask Gov. Brown to Remove Rogers from Fish and Game Commission

I have removed my comment

Last edited by Guest1; 09-17-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: There should not be politics and controversial subjects
Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

As Native Born Califorian and an employee of CA. State Govt. I do not trust anything that this State Govt. does to be done correctly not even when the supposed reason for doing it is sound and honorable on paper.

I agree we need to do more to protect our environment, fish and wildlife. I do not believe due to the corruption and prominent stupidity of elected and appointed bureucrats and law makers that they are capable or will to do the right things, for the right reasons in a sound and honorable ways. (Sorry for the run on sentance)

I'm personally confident that true outdoorsman in our state are willing to do anything that has been shown to them to protect and create more sustainable fishing and hunting oportunities. However, in my opinion the MLPA does not do that in the short or long run.

However, in my opinion due often to ingnorance and in some cases just not caring our coastal and inland waters have been unsustainably over fished. Is is possible as a result commercial fishing industry in California has grown unsustainably as large as it currently is as a result. If so is it then possible that to become sustainable both intelligent regulations and a shrinkage of the number of those in the commercial fishing industry is the only way to save both the industry and the fish. This is an honest question, but I think it is a hard question that must be answered intelegently and honestly.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.