The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

marmoratus is on a distinguished road
Default Mammoth Lakes area in April?

Hi!

I'm visiting Mammoth Lakes to ski and hopefully a spot of fishing too..

I will be there for the first week in April.. any advice on where is open, tackle I should bring, weather, etc.. will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil..
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mammoth Lakes area in April?

sounds like you'll be there before the general season opener, but will have great water to fish anyway...

Lower Owens below Pleasant Valley Res
Upper Owens
Hot Creek
E Walker (Bridgeport)

The lakes will be both closed and frozen

Take a 4 or 5wt and you can nymph with smaller standard bugs (baetis, copper johns, assorted midges, pt's, etc)...you can fish streamers as well and there will be BWO hatches, maybe even caddis, depending on the weather.

edit....if you want to both throw dries and get warm, hike down into the Owens Gorge above PVR

Last edited by mikel; 01-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Thank you.. I can't wait..
Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Here is a link to DFG regulations: Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Waters with Special Regulations

I believe the Upper Owens is only open upstream of the Benton Bridge Road.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Oh, Aunt is correct. I never even think about that little section, but if you don't know, it can look inviting...

Thanks Aunt...

-Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Auntrout, Mikel - Thanks for the info.. very helpful..

Neil..
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Pray for snow, the precipitation has been dismal so far this winter. Fishing will be alright, but for slidin'... we need some dumps! milt.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Not sure how far south this storm will go but we are supposed to get DUMPED ON this weekend so there should be a base down at least for ya.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 PM

dcmcmill is on a distinguished road

all depends on run-off. This year was a pretty lousy ski season, so you might have good luck. There is an awesome shop in Mammoth Lakes that has good info.

Also, I camped at Tuolome in Yosemite and fished those two forks there - not bad at all!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 AM

I'm over in mammoth lakes now! Thinking of trying out the upper Owens tomorrow (Saturday) and here till Wednesday. I'm skiing till lunch time every day then I'm free for the river. If Anyone wants to meet up.. Give me a shout..