The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Steelies? Browns? pics :)

Fished Tues on the Trinity near Douglas City, Ca. going 4/5 on steelies plus 2 browns drifting. Beautiful day on the water. #12 golden stones and #16 pt's were the bugs of the day. Water was perfect green and falling very slowly with temps from 40 to maybe 42...and most action was after it warmed up that last degree.

biggest brownie
Click the image to open in full size.

pretty wild hen
Click the image to open in full size.

Even landed 2 without adipose fins so we get to eat steelhead at our house

Next day we got blown off the Sacramento near Redding. We landed a few (think I had 5 or 6 in the net) before the wind became too tough. Good trip though...-Mike
Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Steelies? Browns? pics :)

Nice report. Glad your not eating the wild steelies!

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Nice report. Glad your not eating the wild steelies!
The wild ones give me gas.

Actually, it's only been the last couple of years that the fishery folk and fly shops in the area have been encouraging us to take the hatchery fish (competition and interbreeding) and the browns (smolt eating machines) from the Trinity. We released them all for years.

Brownies are considered invasive and the limit is 5/day, 10/posession. 2/day on steelies.

-m
milt spawn likes this.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pix Mike! Looks like traffic was light that day? milt.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

The weather just looks too nice there.. for me it's always been the worse the weather.. the better the fishing.. looks like you hit a good combination.

Red Copper John's always been my best working fly on that stretch..
Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Milt...this run is pretty technical and most of the DB guys are above this time of year. There were probably 20 on the river and we saw none. Pays to know the guys who grew up there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Red Copper John's always been my best working fly on that stretch..
Me too and I didn't have a CJ of any color on all day...blue has been the number this year, they say, but over the years more steelies have come from a red CJ or poxyback golden stone and any other bugs, I believe...

I was looking at weather/flows waiting for the right day and for once, we hit it. I'm sure there were boats above us (like above steel bridge to Lewiston) that scored more fish, but had to deal with traffic. I like it in the canyon by ourselves.

-m