The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM

manotheskip is on a distinguished road
Default New to Forum, New to LA

Hello all,
I've had a great time reading most of the threads on the site...just wanted to intrusive myself, I've recently moved to LA from philadelphia, where I was an avid fly fisherman, and want to continue suit here in LA. If anyone ever needs someone to go with, I'm free often and always willing to drop everything to go fishing.

Is it too early to try the streams I've been reading about? West fork, etc...

I guess that's really the only question right now...

Nice to meet everyone! Tight lines!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to Forum, New to LA

Welcome to the forum. If you are in the southern part of LA, our local fly shop is Bob Marriott's in Fullerton. They often have great seminars on Saturday; very educational and they are free. In a couple weeks they are having a talk on fishing local waters. See link below:

Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Events: Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Events, Classes & More!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Skip,

Welcome to the forum, I can't offer any insight on the LA area but am happy to see you posting with us here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Hi Skip, No it's not too early to go fishing in the streams. Where abouts do you live? Lots of streams that are open to fishing but make sure that you know what regs are in place. If you are catch and release and using barbless hooks, you are pretty much good to go.

Sean
Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Where you been Tree catcher?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the LA fishing!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Where you been Tree catcher?
Been recovering from a broken patella thanks to a motorcycle accident from a year and a half ago... Spent some time recovering and fishing and being anti-social. Now I have plans on making up for lost time, I just wish the fish would cooperate.

Sean
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the responses guys...I actually visited bob marriott's yesterday, so I will be at the seminar next week hopefully...I might go out on a boat ing the marina however. Was supposed to go today, but it got canceled, so I might hit piru during the day, then go curling at night!

Great to be on this forum, and I'll expect to message often.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:00 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

What did you think about Marriott's? I haven't visited many fly shops, other than some in the Eastern Sierras and a couple when vacationing in North Carolina, so I really do not have much data to compare against. I started fly fishing in the early 90's and used to visit Marriott's quite a bit back then. Their inventory seemed to be much greater across the board, from rods, reels, etc to books/educational material. I took a big break from fly fishing while the kids were growing up but have gotten back into it pretty heavy now. Now when I visit the shop it seems like all the on-line ordering had taken some toll, they do not seem to carry as much inventory, but that's probably true for many shops like this.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 PM

If that was selected inventory..i'd be intimidated to walk into twenty years ago!

They told me they are the biggest fly fishing store in North America, and possibly the world.

But like any fly fishing store I've been in, it's too pricey for me. I'm the discount fly fisher. I find the good deals by buying from bass pro or craigslist, and fishing expos. I wish I could buy a 400 dollar reel, but i can pay a months car payment with that, and right now that's a priority. So, I loved the shop, but we'll see how much actual spending I'll do there.

I also want to check out the fly shop in Sherman Oaks. Seems closer, and looking online, they had a fly line from Rio for 25 bucks, so I can actually afford a thing or two. Didn't go to piru today...maybe tomorrow