The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 PM

manotheskip is on a distinguished road
Default Big Tujunga Creek

I drove to the big tujunga creek today, to fish, but I took too long to leave the house, and when I got there, wasn't in the mood to set up, put on my waders, and give it a try since I didn't see any swimmers..

Has anyone fished this creek? Would you recommend it? It's actually pretty close, and it would be great if it's a gem, if not, I'm willing to drive further.

Thanks guys
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Big Tujunga Creek

Never been. Where exactly is this river and how were the water flows?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM

The creek access is right off the 210 Westbound, if you came North on the 2. It's in Sunland. You take the Sunland exit, and drive, North I want to say, basically turn Right. Then you get to Oro Vista, sunland blvd has changed it's name to Foothill blvd by that point. You turn left, and eventually, Oro Vista turns into Big Tujunga canyon rd. The creek runs alongside. It was a small creek with a steady light flow. Very shallow, with a few pools in the 3-4 feet range maybe?

Again, I didn't see any fish. Thought it might be a planting creek, went on the fish and game site, I don't think it is. The site with the stocking schedule isn't as good as the PA fish and game's site's. I have gotten spoiled, and now am having trouble searching it.

But really close, took me like 30 minutes. Love that! Hopefully there will be fish there. According to some sites, and books, there is...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Took a look on Google and the road seems to go up a ways to the reservoir.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM

I didn't see a reservoir...I drove all the way to angeles highway, 2,

There was a good area to park and walk the creek at the wildwood picnic area...lots of tables and barbecues as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 AM

Saw one on Google map. Maybe it was really low; would have been on your left as you were going up Big Tujunga Canyon Road.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 AM

Looks like this creek, as well as many others, is no longer approved for stocking...not sure if there will still be fish...am I mistaken? Am I reading the dfg website incorrectly?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 AM

I think you are correct. Took a look at this site and it does not look like any local creeks are being planted.
Trout Planting Schedule - South Coast Region - California Department of Fish and Game
Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

If I am correct that particular water might have had its fish wiped out due to the fires of the past few years. Actually not the fires but from all of the ash and silt that washed down with the rains after the fires. This might be one of the waters to give a few years for it to recover.
Also please don't name specific names of waters on the internet or directions. Use the PMs There are too many people that will do harm our waters. Remember that we have 22 million people all living in short driving distance of the waterways. They all do not have the same regards to the local creeks as most of us do.

Sean
Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 PM

penjak is on a distinguished road

i believe you are right about the station fire making this area a waste of time to fish.. that's what Ive been told, but then again, maybe its a good spot and person who told me to stay away wants it all to himself,,, hmmm, just thinking about that again makes me want to go check it out for myself. cuz worst day fishing is still better than the best day working...