The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
Default Santa Clara CA trout

Hi
I am possibly moving to Santa Clara CA, please tell me there is good wild trout fishing within a 2 hour drive, currently I live in the UK and fish for wild browns on small / mid size freestone and chalk streams, I use luke banister and edward barder cane rods, thanks in advance for your help, and tigh lines
Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Santa Clara CA trout

You're definitely not moving to trout Mecca. Right at 2 hrs you can reach the lower Yuba, Putah Creek (the closest) the lower Stanislaus and a couple of other tailwaters on the far side of the San Joaquin Valley. The quality waters of the Sierra are going to be more like 3.5 to 5 hours out for you.

Sorry for that news. The good news is you'll have about the best weather in the world, San Fransisco will be 45 minutes away and the wine country is all around you.

If you fish the salt there are good opportunities for perch and stripers around the bay area, but beware of the ocean, as it'll kick your butt pretty quickly if you're not prepared.

I'd love it if someone could chime in with better trout news. Trust me, I'd be all ears and smiles...-Mike
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Mike said.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I grew up in San Jose, it sucks BAD!!!

Los Gatos creek below lexington reservoir supposedly has some small salmon (I forget if Ca steelhead or not). I did not get to fish it over Christmas, but there are a few nice stretches below the dam.
Pretty sure nobody ever fishes it, you could try fishing Vasona lake too, which is where the trout would be hanging until they run.

Lots of bass and carp ponds around the Bay Area, sounds like you will become a warmwater afficionado. Don't eat the fish though, murcury poisoning in most water bodies around the SF bay and San Jose.

I assume you could find some awesome spawing run creeks along the Big Sur coast, but access is tough, and many of the creek properties seem to be private. Some of the watersheds are so clean and pristine you can drink right from the creek.

Otherwise, everything you want to do is at least 3 hours from the bay. I left 14 years ago, never going back!
Let me know if you find any fish in Los Gatos creek, I have been dying to know.
TB
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM

dcmcmill is on a distinguished road

its an EASY drive to redding where all the good water is. i live in palo alto and spend the 4 hours to get to redding to fish a llll the time. Drive a little extra, its worth it!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jason,

Welcome to America & to the forum here You may have to drive a bit but you'll find some forum members here who just may be willing to help you find your way about.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;