The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 PM

cvd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

New member here (found this forum via search for "Deep Creek Fly Fishing Report"). I've fly/bubble fished for years, true fly fished just a couple times. Have a basic Bass Pro Shop 4/5 wt TPO rod/reel.

I was up at Holcomb Creek a couple weeks ago (with a jeep club, doing trail maintenance), and kept looking at the creek. Every pool had dozens of small trout, with a few 10" or so. I've not fished these SBNF streams, any sources of hints to get started?

I know the basic rules (barbless flies only, no take). But am looking for additional pointers (where, when, technique flies). Also wondering how if the fishing is good all summer, or just in the spring/early summer due to flows levels.

I looked at the Deep Creek Fly Fishers club site. Looks like they offer some interesting classes, etc.; but didn't see much detail on actual fishing Deep Creek or Holcomb Creek.

Thx, Cliff
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Welcome, Pm will be sent in a minute. One word of mention is that there are 20 million (or so it seems) people within a short drive of some of these creeks. Please don't name them by name especially the smaller ones. It only takes a few bad apples to destroy the stream and then you won't see the small fish in there.
Like I said Welcome and ask away. I can answer some of your questions but only by PM.

Sean
Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Cliff,

Please check your PM.