The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 AM

ytotani is on a distinguished road
Default Deep Creek (Fail)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and just got into fly fishing around October 2011. Have fished SG River WF numerous times and have had decent success and decided to try Deep Creek....

I entered the creek from the lower section (around the Mojave dam), and hiked about a mile or two. The winds were gusting all day long, and I only saw about 3 rises. Caught nothing. Didn't see much in terms of insects hatching either.

Should I start near Holcomb Creek next time? Are winds gusting through all year like this? Advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deep Creek (Fail)

Do you own or have access to a 4WD vehicle?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM

ytotani is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I do not. Is it easier to get into the prime locations starting from Lake Arrowhead area? (rather than entering from the lower section)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I can't help with your local rivers but will say; Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll visit some other threads and post more.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 AM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Ytotani

Check your PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 PM

donniemeyer20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytotani View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and just got into fly fishing around October 2011. Have fished SG River WF numerous times and have had decent success and decided to try Deep Creek....

I entered the creek from the lower section (around the Mojave dam), and hiked about a mile or two. The winds were gusting all day long, and I only saw about 3 rises. Caught nothing. Didn't see much in terms of insects hatching either.

Should I start near Holcomb Creek next time? Are winds gusting through all year like this? Advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Ive been fly fishing deep creek from the mojave damn entrance the past couple weeks. Fishing here is no easy task. Theirs no trails, you have to manuver over rocks, hills and just wade through the river. Unlike san g where u pull up to a parking lot and walk along a paved road. Fishing in near arrowhead is good too. I did it last year and caught 3 rainbows. I will end up their this year eventually because it will be too hot to fish the lower end. Im still in the process of exploring it all myself. Last time I was their their was a may fly hatch going off which was good too see.

Last edited by donniemeyer20; 05-20-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

The way I view it is that fishing is often affected by a degree of luck. Some days the fish are luckier than the fishermen. It could have just been one of those days....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

I go there often, If you are having problems catching fish, change tactics or areas of the creek. Early reports have the diaper hatch starting early this year. With the lack of rain and snow, the water will be getting too warm for the fish to stress. If you want to get out and fish the locals let me know I go just about every weekend to different waters.

Sean
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

Not trying to be a jerk, and several on this forum who know me can attest to that, but how about keeping the name and specifics a little more low key? With the number of bait slinging trolls out there, it won't help to be hotspotting any successes on that water.

Thanks,
Curtis
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM

donniemeyer20 is on a distinguished road

I hear you. I know their are alot of irresponsible people that can ruin a good trout stream.