The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Eastern Sierra? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/249299-eastern-sierra.html)

unclepen 03-08-2012 07:47 PM

Eastern Sierra?

Hey,

I've been going to the Eastern Sierra mainly around the mountains above Bishop, Rock Lake, and into Mammoth too. My buddy just joined the armed forces and wanted us to go fishing and camping before he left at the end of the month. Problem is everywhere I know isn't open yet. This is to go next weekend the 17th. I figured maybe Lower Owens but I've never fished it before I always just stayed up in the mountains.

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions from the fine folks here where we should go this time of year to camp and fish. I'm open to anywhere from Lone Pine on up. Now, I'm the only one who actually fly fishes so, I'm thinking more along the lines of just general fishing. So if anyone could make some suggestions that'd be great. My buddy would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

milt spawn 03-08-2012 08:15 PM

Re: Eastern Sierra?

Welcome to the board pen! The L.O. is open year round from Crowley dam to Owens Lake, there is a special regs section downstream from Pleasant Valley Reservoir to Five Bridges. Upper O is also open as is Hot Creek, but single barbless CNR only. PVR is good for tubing and lure casting.:eek: Camp at PVR, right on the L.O., or comfy digs in Bishop. Check DFG regs book for particulars on boundaries. milt.

auntrout 03-08-2012 09:18 PM

For the Upper Owens I think you also have to fish north of Benton Crossing Bridge.

Tree Catcher 03-08-2012 09:31 PM

Stop in at the fly shop in Bishop and ask, The guys in there are very willng to help you out on what water is open or closed. Besides it also helps to find out what particular fly is working or not. The fly shop address is 2272 North Sierra Hwy Bishop. I do not work for them but have gotten pretty good help from them in the past.. That and the resteraunt next door has some pretty good food.

Sean

milt spawn 03-09-2012 03:14 AM

Not to mention the smoked meats across the road, oohh yeah. milt. Almost forgot, you may want to check on the local derby, could be busy around PVR and the campground, it's usually in mid March.

dhayden 03-09-2012 09:06 AM

This is a pretty good site.. has links to local fly shops too

Image maps for Eastern Sierra Flyfishing Locations

auntrout 03-09-2012 06:11 PM

Yeah, Mahogany Smoked Meats up the road has the best beef jerky I've ever had. Always get enough Sweet n' Spicy and the Natural Slab to last me my trip up in the Sierras and always stop to pick up enough for my drive back to LA.

mikel 03-09-2012 07:12 PM

Since we're into the important stuff around Bishop :) there's a bakery called Shat's right on 395. I hear they have a deli too...

Jack's for Bfast...check out the mounts. woo hoo!

auntrout 03-09-2012 07:37 PM

Yep, excellent deli at Schat's. My favorite is the roast turkey sandwich. Gotta get some of their cheese and sheepherders bread too; the chili cheese with jalapeno's is good too. There is also a Schat's in the town of Mammoth Lakes. I usually buy my goods there before heading home because the one in Bishop is always so crowded; and hope you never get there during lunch when the tour buses stop and unload all their passengers for lunch at Schat's.

Brock's, Mac's and Culver's are all good sources of fishing info in the area.

planettrout 03-09-2012 09:41 PM

My mouth is watering...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/p1040165.jpg

...drive past this place without stopping and the kids will NEVER speak to you again...

PT/TB :thmbup: