The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Solo upsetting trip

I had made a few calls to some buddy's that I knew would want to go fishing. For some reason they all had other things to do that day, Thought of calling Creeker but decided that he is probably coaching on Saturday. I needed to get out and relax on my favorite water. Fill the jeep up with Diesel and headed up to the local and arrive at the parking pad suprised that I was the only one there. Park and start hiking downstream and this was where it started getting a bit spooky. I had already seen a few lizards running around and I have always thought that when the lizards are out so are the moving sticks (snakes). So needless to say I was starting to question myself as if it was smart to head out to this water alone and out of cell reception. I cautiously head down to the creek and start my solo journey of fishing. Hit the first few sections of water that has produced for me on nearly every other trip all for nothing. Came up to the huge pool and this is where it gets upsetting. I do not get any hits but also do not see any life either. Could it be the cold water? I wait for a few and scan the water to see if I spooked anything and nothing but I do see two silvery spots at the end of the pool. I hike back down and get a better look and found not one but two dead trout. Usually this wouldnt bother me if this was a stocked creek but this is a wild creek. A bit further up I found another dead trout in the water. I did not pick any of them up and study them. I wonder two things, what did they die from and should I have picked them up and looked for any marks or took pics?

I expected the the slow to non-existant fishing was due to the cold water. However after a few more pools I started to see life, again it could have been that the temps might have went up a degree but who knows. I did start catching fish after probably noon and never saw another dead fish. I ended the day with about 8 fish to hand and many more that were lucky to do the long distance release and a few that were camera shy. On the way back I did see one guy that was stringing up his spinning rod and he asked me if nightcrawlers would work. I told him that the local law enforcement on this water is very strict and likes writing tickets, This is an artificial & barbless lure/fly water He thanked me for saving him some money and hopefully he crimped the barbs down on his lures that he was now wanting to try.
As for the pics, most were camera shy but I did manage to get two pics of the day's catch and release.
First fish and SKUNK OFF!!! even if it was a little guy
Click the image to open in full size.
Ahh this is getting better
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Solo upsetting trip

Glad to see you getting out, the dead fish? heck it could be almost anything, without knowing the winter conditions there I wouldn't even venture a guess at what took them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

On Friday I hooked a decent rainbow that promptly dove into some submerged brush and hung up, when I went in and shook it loose a dead 'un came out with the live one. Never touched either one, but i did manage a few others. milt.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 AM

manotheskip is on a distinguished road

Nice report sean...tried my hand at some salt water, but it was pointless...gotta hit a stream soon!