The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Also new to forum and area of Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubl haul View Post
word to the wise careful what you post on the internet the locations mentioned are threatened with a population that it could not withstand. Use the private message system.

Andy
Hey Andy,

I completely agree with keeping certain information on some spots on the "down-low." In fact, I've PM'd some people about some spots I've heard of that I haven't seen listed anywhere in literature or on this site. Not to mention I've got a long list of spots I've identified with my GPS software that I want to check out that I'm not telling anyone about. (Don't bother PM'ing me, I'm not telling. )

As far as Deep and Bear Creek are concerned, though, there's already ample information on both scattered around the internet. Not to mention they're listed in multiple Southern California fishing guides, so I hardly think it unjust to "reveal" info. regarding those two spots.

Especially in regard to Bear Creek, you're talking a minimum 7-9 mile hike with around 2000-3000 feet of elevation gain/loss, plus route finding capabilities to get down to the creek. Honestly, I'm surprised that one even shows up in various guidebooks, but it does. Just with the hike-in you're already going to exclude probably 90% of the anglers out there.

Let's face it... most of the population doesn't want to walk from one side of a parking lot to the grocery store, much less trek 4 or 5 miles in and half a vertical mile down to go fishing.

Gusto
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
Let's face it... most of the population doesn't want to walk from one side of a parking lot to the grocery store, much less trek 4 or 5 miles in and half a vertical mile down to go fishing.

Gusto

Most people will not look into a book where they have to pay for the information. Sometimes its too easy and free to find someone's honey hole on the internet.
I for one would like to be able to take grandkids there in about 20 years and not have it be a litter box like some of the local waters that are well known. Lytle Creek is a perfect example of one place. I am convinced that that creek was created in a dump.

Sean
Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM

snowwolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
late is better than never...so Dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

thanks jbbfly
Old 07-27-2010, 02:48 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
Most people will not look into a book where they have to pay for the information. Sometimes its too easy and free to find someone's honey hole on the internet.
I for one would like to be able to take grandkids there in about 20 years and not have it be a litter box like some of the local waters that are well known. Lytle Creek is a perfect example of one place. I am convinced that that creek was created in a dump.

Sean
Hey Sean,

Looks like I've inadvertently stepped on more toes than I thought! I didn't realize that places listed to fish in widespread literature were meant to be kept secret, and that sharing information to help fellow fisherman explore said places was a such disdainful topic.

I too would like to share these places with my children, and I assure you had I even the slightest inclination that posting something on this forum would lead to their demise, I wouldn't have posted it.

That said, I thought the point of even having a forum in the first place was to share information with others in hopes of gaining knowledge that would otherwise be elusive. I see, however, the goal of this forum is somewhat contrary to what I had originally thought.

Doesn't sound like I'll have much to contribute....

I wish everyone good fishing, and I'll be sure NOT to share information regarding where to fish, what to fish, or how to fish any spot. This way, no place will be trampled with hoards of people...

Gusto
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Gusto, by all means it is a forum where people can and will share info. Its just usually done by PM or by going out with other people. I usually fish alone and would welcome the company. But you have to realise that we have several million people around in the greater LA area. Not all of them are going to be so nice about our fishing spots. All it takes is for one poacher to screw it up. I for one would gladly show someone a spot if I could at the moment.

I for one have hotspotted in the past and had the proverbial hand slap. I also understand why you don't name certain waterways. You have to understand that some people don't care. They will place nets across the river, and more destructive things to kill ALL of the fish in the river. Some just go to swim but leave there trash behind, scribble there name on the rocks, walkways and roads. I have also seen them kill a harmless snake.

If you don't belive me on how bad the trash is on some waterways, join up a river cleanup in the near future. You will get a better understanding of the local waters and will meet people that are into helping the local waters. That and there is always time to fish at the end of the clean up.

Again I am really trying not to discourage you from fishing, far from it. I would gladly invite you along to show some areas. I would welcome anyone that wanted to tag along. Just don't expect to go to my honeyholes on the first day.

Sean
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM

dubl haul is on a distinguished road

I'm not saying don't help each other out I'm saying be cautious what you put on the net and for sensitive areas (like ALL OF THE ONES YOU MENTIONED) do it with private messages. Do yourself a favor and don't spoil it. Loose Lips Sink Ships. I understand you want to share your victories with like minded people just be aware not everyone that will read it will be your friend. Pretty sure Team 57 reads this.

Andy