The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM

dryfly661 is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Lake Tahoe, advice?

heading out Lake Tahoe this weekend, staying at the marriott timber lodge on the south end of the lake. i am willing to travel 30-45 minutes but would like to stay by the lake. i understand the truckee and the little truckee are somewhere around there.

can anyone give me some pointers on where would be a good spot for a novice? by novice i mean i have the basics of casting down, but am probably not ready for a rapid, big water river.

where would be a good spot? what flies? is there good fly fishing on the lake itself? thank you!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Time Lake Tahoe, advice?

Locals can give you better advice.. but you're about as far from the Little Truckee that you can be.

Normally when people say the Little Truckee, they mean off I-80, north of the Hirschdale exit.. but you can also fish it up Hi-89, pre-lake

The Truckee.. I've only fished around I-80 as well, in starting just west of that turn-off.. then continuing east.. I'm sure there' closer waters to fish in lesser known streams on that side of the lake.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Victor Babbit of Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters for the latest information. (530) 541-8208
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Locals can give you better advice.. but you're about as far from the Little Truckee that you can be.

Normally when people say the Little Truckee, they mean off I-80, north of the Hirschdale exit.. but you can also fish it up Hi-89, pre-lake

The Truckee.. I've only fished around I-80 as well, in starting just west of that turn-off.. then continuing east.. I'm sure there' closer waters to fish in lesser known streams on that side of the lake.
yes it looks like the little truckee is a little out of my reach out by the 80.

i was actually looking at the river that flows into the lake on the westside, by the 89. im assuming thats the truckee river. would that be a good spot?

finding smaller slower streams like you said would be a great option for me as well, as i am still learning alot of things.

and MoscaPescador, i had called the shop about 3 days ago, but they offered a guide service, which i understand, but at the time i dont have the finances to have a guide. besides that i didnt get alot of info from them.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Trout season opens on Saturday, April 28, in California. The East and West Carson Rivers will open up. The West Carson is about a 30 minute drive from the hotel. Add another 15 minutes for the East Carson. Alpine County is stocking the rivers with large Rainbow Trout. The water levels will be up, so be careful wading.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryfly661 View Post
i was actually looking at the river that flows into the lake on the westside, by the 89. im assuming thats the truckee river. would that be a good spot?
At Tahoe City.. that's where the Truckee starts.. flowing out of the lake. I've never fished that high up. Immediately after the lake - it's closed to all fishing for a short distance.. 100-200 yards I tihnk?

Stand on the bridge that crosses the river .. and look down.. huge protected trout in there.. or at least there used to be
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM

ok ill look into that. i will be stopping by the local shop and see if i can get some information as well. thank you guys
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM

is the upper truckee river (south of the lake) worth getting into? havent found much information on that section.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM

dj717 is on a distinguished road

The Upper Truckee, flowing INTO Lake Tahoe is CLOSED to ALL FORMS OF FISHING< all year....do not go there...period. Your closest will be the West Carson....just south of Tahoe on 89, where 88 meets. Sat morning is opener, and both forks of Carson will be open...which means alot of meat fisherman. I will most likely be fishing East Carson this weekend. Depending on flows of course. Both are falling right now...but with rain coming in...could blow out both out again. I talked with Carson River Resort this afternoon.....river is high, but clearing.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 PM

i see, thanks for the heads up. so my best bet is the truckee river west of the lake. maybe i can find a nice creek away from everyone else