The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM

dcmcmill is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Buddy Wanted! - mccloud/pit/upper sac

fellas,

my newness and lack of family in the bay area makes me a solo fly guy on my weekend adventures from SF to the shasta river systems. I am a 27 year old grad student, really like to camp when fishing (Ah-di-nah on the McCloud is my favorite). I have really good gear, but only moderate ability since i have only been fly fishing for maybe 3 years. I work in software as a sales guy, so i am pretty social.

I was hoping to maybe find a network of younger anglers who enjoy fishing/camping/drinking good beers.

If anyone has an ideas please feel free to reply. I tried to get my girlfriend started on the fly but am yet to have any luck. I am also taking recommendations on this as well.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Buddy Wanted! - mccloud/pit/upper sac

Dustin, good luck in your pursuit of new fishing buddies! I'd love to join you but it would be one heck of a commute!! Let me know if you're ever anywhere near the East Coast

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Dustin, good luck in your pursuit of new fishing buddies! I'd love to join you but it would be one heck of a commute!! Let me know if you're ever anywhere near the East Coast
AJ - thanks for the reply. Can you read the other Topic i started today and let me know what you think?

HELP!! ADVANCED "How to" fly fishing books?

thanks brotha
dustin
Old 05-05-2012, 12:48 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Done! Hopefully that helps a bit... unfortunately haven't been doing much reading of print books for fly fishing lately, something about having to read so many long articles for grad school studies that puts a damper on my desire to read other items in print besides typically concise forum posts

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Howdy Dustin, I'll shoot you a pm tomorrow morning,

Steelheader's Anonymous.

Last edited by siskiyoublues; 05-16-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 AM

Dustin, you're a lucky man to get that offer from Carl! I'd love to be able to get out there and fish with you guys...

Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM

carl how did you do on the McCloud this weekend?

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

also, what weight rod do you typically use down there? I have a 4 and a 5 and was thinking of upgrading to an all inclusive set-up for my upper sac/mccloud/pit routine.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Super crowded! I left earlier then I planned on. Weekends on that river seem like a circus. A couple weeks in things should settle down.
I think a 5wt is best if your going to bring one.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Hey Dustin!
Welcome. I live in SF and my gal and I fly fish together. I usually visit Ah Di Na once or twice a year - Upper Sac out of Dunsmuir too. We are not chronologically young (I'm 45 and my gal is 34), but we exude youth and vitality (a polite way of saying immature?). I have a small band of fishing buddies that do a handful of trips a year. If you are interested I could send you an invite. We are planning an Upper Sac trip in June right now.

As far as getting your gal interested in the sport - I think I just got lucky. My GF loved nature, hiking, backpacking and animals wild and domestic before I met her. She took to fly fishing immediately and loves it.

I have never posted or even looked in here! So hi everybody.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach