The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM

gregdio is on a distinguished road
Default New to Forum and Sac area

I just joined this forum and it seems like a great resource. I am new to fly fishing, but not fishing, been loving the outdoors and fishing since a little boy. I recently move to Roseville, just east of Sacramento and decided to fulfill a lifelong desire in learning to fly fish. I had bought a rod, reel and a few flies many years ago when I first wanted to learn but life somehow interfered. My father in-law, who had been an avid fly fisherman, gave me his prized collection of Dan Bailey hand tied flies. That was all I needed to jump in with both feet.

Recently I had taken a beginners clinic to learn the basics, I am now eager to get on the water. My biggest question at this point is where to go. It seems in looking at a map that I am well located to find something within a short drive. If anyone can point me in the right direction it is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forum and Sac area

Gregdio,
Northern California is a great region to fly fish.

I80 - Truckee River, Little Truckee River, Middle Fork American River, North Fork American River

US50 - South Fork American River

CA88/89 - West Fork Carson River, East Fork Carson River

CA20 - Lower Yuba

Visit your local shop for more information.

Dennis

Edit:
Sacramento County: American River Parkway

If you want to explore up north: Lower Sac, Upper Sac, Trinity, Pitt

Plenty of stillwater opportunities: Fuller, Milton, Lake Davis
Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Welcome!

You are nice and close to the Sierra! There are some good fly shops in your area - I stopped off at one once and they were nice - I think it was this one: FLY FISHING SPECIALTIES.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Dennis,

Thank you for the great information and quick reply. I will scout out these areas as well as talk with the local fly shops.

Noiso,

Thanks for the reply, Fly Fishing Specialties is just a couple exits West of my location, been meaning to stop in.

You both have a great weekend,

Greg
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM

logic_factory is on a distinguished road

i called that area home for 3+ years while stationed at beale afb.
the yuba river is an amazing fishery. it has an incredible diverse population of caddies, may and stone flies that go a long way for its stability throughout all seasons. if you can gain access up near the u.c. davic property that would save you a 30minute hike from highway 20 bridge. this 30 minute hike often turned into a couple hours as it is difficult to pass rising 15-17" rainbows. be mindful of rattlesnakes. i caught one with 12 segments in its rattle took a picture and let it go.
i spend more time day dreaming about my days on the yuba river than my time in alaska.

i just so happen to have a yuba river/highway 20 sign that ended up in my moving truck while heading back to connecticut. might be a little difficult to know when you are on the river now; i would imagine it has been replaced at that was about 6 years ago.

i believe the name of the shop i went to a couple times was fly fishing specialties located in sacramento; they have a knowledgable staff.

this next summer i plan to make my way back out there and if i do and you are still around and available i would be happy to take you along and offer any and all knowledge i have.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a Yuba Rainbow Trout caught during hopper season (July).

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a Yuba Rainbow Trout caught during Woolly Bugger season (seriously...).

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic_factory View Post
i called that area home for 3+ years while stationed at beale afb.
the yuba river is an amazing fishery. it has an incredible diverse population of caddies, may and stone flies that go a long way for its stability throughout all seasons. if you can gain access up near the u.c. davic property that would save you a 30minute hike from highway 20 bridge. this 30 minute hike often turned into a couple hours as it is difficult to pass rising 15-17" rainbows. be mindful of rattlesnakes. i caught one with 12 segments in its rattle took a picture and let it go.
i spend more time day dreaming about my days on the yuba river than my time in alaska.

i just so happen to have a yuba river/highway 20 sign that ended up in my moving truck while heading back to connecticut. might be a little difficult to know when you are on the river now; i would imagine it has been replaced at that was about 6 years ago.

i believe the name of the shop i went to a couple times was fly fishing specialties located in sacramento; they have a knowledgable staff.

this next summer i plan to make my way back out there and if i do and you are still around and available i would be happy to take you along and offer any and all knowledge i have.
Dave,

Thank you for the advice. i will try that area as soon as the rivers calm down.

Greg
Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Greg,

I see that the guys have you all sorted out so I'll just say; Welcome to The Forum.

I'm glad to see that you are liking the site and with Dennis on the job he'll have you on the water in no time. All the guys are helpful but MP seems to be a regular source.

Glad your here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Greg: Welcome to the forum! You are located in a great fly fishing area. Looking forward to reading about your fly fishing adventures!