The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM

rcsmyth is on a distinguished road
Default more local trout action

I got up early this morning and headed for the mountains with no real plan as to where I was going. I'd never fished this area before so after poking around a while I finally found the water. Up untill now all of the trout I 've caught in my life have been rainbows so I was excited to reel in my first catch of the day to find what I think is a brook trout on my new 3 wt it was a whole new experience.

Click the image to open in full size.

I fished on for a couple miles and a couple hrs catching quite a few along the way most were in 5-6 in range and some real small. On the retirn leg I knew there was ome bigger fish hiding in there some where and then smack I get a good hit and the fight was on, its no monster but found this decent sized rainbow

On we go go again and I see what I think is another great hiding place for a nice size fish, after several casts into the likely hole its on, as I see a flash of color from the fighting fish its a bigger brookie and I cant wait to get a look.

At this point I caught everything on a nymph and really wanted some dry fly action although I 'd seen very little surface activity all day as I got back to my starting point I noticed several fish taking bugs from the surface
I quickly tied on a dry and started casting I got a good strike and hook up from the larger of the fish I could see but the hook was spat and the fish spooked I continued on untill I landed one small brookie on my dry fly and my mission was complete.
Thanks for looking
ryan
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: more local trout action

Nice fish. I really like to catch brook trout I've only caught them one time in a creek up above Jenkinson's Lake IIRCC in Northern Cal about 10 years go. They were small like that first one you caught. I don't think any were as big as that last picture.

Thanks for sharing!.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Nice report!

Just a heads up the three pics you are calling brook trout are actually brown trout.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 PM

rcsmyth is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the correction I wasnt sure. Now I'll have to go find some brookies for comparrison.
Ryan
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmyth View Post
Thanks for the correction I wasnt sure. Now I'll have to go find some brookies for comparrison.
Ryan

Here are a couple of shots for you from one of my trips. The shots are not the best though.

Last edited by Sasha; 07-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've never fished any places yet for brook trout. The fins on the bottom side like the pic above shows a big difference. Catching fish on a 3 wt is a blast. I just have to remember that at times and let the bigger ones play themselves out. Lost several nice fish.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Ryan, Seems like you had a great day out on the water. I will echo what Sasha said about it being a Brown trout and not a Brookie. Great fishing pics and even better on the catch and release with wet hands

Sean