The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Dunsmuir/Upper Sac/McCloud.

My gal and I will be in Dunsmuir June 1-3, staying at Cave Springs.
We will of course be going after some Upper Sac rainbows. We will also take a trip up to some tribs of the upper McCloud to try and land, photo and release a McCloud River Redband for the California Heritage Trout Challenge.
If anybody wants to say hi and maybe fish a few spots send a pm.
Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dunsmuir/Upper Sac/McCloud.

My guide buddy, Rick Fox, told me that the peak salmonfly hatch already happened on the Upper Sac. But the window for that hatch is still open just briefly. The golden stonefly hatch should be starting up soon if it hasn't already.

Dennis

*Edit: Siskiyoublues may have some up to date info for the region.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:12 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Well after an almost ninety degree week it was snowing in Mt Shasta this morning, so I'm not sure how anyone's supposed to be able to predict anything...

I'll send you a PM this evening with some spots to check out. Unfortunately I will be out of town while your up here or I'd be out there to give you a hand.

Good luck!

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
My guide buddy, Rick Fox, . . .
Do you mean Rick Cox - the guy who does the Guide Notes section on the Ted Fay Fly Shop site? Tell him I eagerly await his next report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
*Edit: Siskiyoublues may have some up to date info for the region.
I had a feeling you'd be correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Well after an almost ninety degree week it was snowing in Mt Shasta this morning, so I'm not sure how anyone's supposed to be able to predict anything... I'll send you a PM this evening with some spots to check out. Unfortunately I will be out of town while your up here or I'd be out there to give you a hand. Good luck!
Yep I looked at weather.com for Dunsmuir this morning. Did a lot of snow get dumped up high? Other than that the weather should be warm and I'm hoping the flows go down a bit by June 1.

Bummer that you'll be out of town. I try to get up there as much as possible - with dreams of some day moving to that area. We usually hit Ah Di Na and Cave Springs once or twice a year apiece. If nothing else I'll be back up there for the October Caddis - what a blast that is! I have found a couple huge Salmon Flies up there but never witnessed a full blown hatch. Maybe next time.

Thanks in advance for any info you can pm me! I'll take all the help I can get. If you have any cool spots to share for McCloud Redband I'd love it. I have a pretty good idea where to look, but again, any help is welcome.

Thanks to both of you and look for a post about the trip!
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
Do you mean Rick Cox - the guy who does the Guide Notes section on the Ted Fay Fly Shop site?
Nope. I meant Rick Fox. He is an independent fly fishing guide who is based out of that region.

Dennis
Old 05-26-2012, 10:05 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Nothing stuck anywhere that affects anyone so it shouldn't affect anything. I'm just not native to the area and never stop getting a kick out of mountain weather,
anyway, If it's anything like things have been you'll have some real civil conditions to deal with.
Let me know next time your coming up.
Also bummed, but I'll be traveling east to see my family for the first time in a couple years. It would take nothing less to drag me away from this river this time of year.

Steelheader's Anonymous.