The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough
Default New guy

Hello I am a complete beginner to fly fishing. I just recently bought my first fly fishing set up and have tied a few flys that I must say are pretty hideous lol. I live in stockton so I have some pretty decent areas to fish that are not so far away. My buddy David Williams and his son actually got me into this new sport, we just got back from a 2 day trip to Kennedy Meadows up in the sierras. We had a blast and I actually caught a half dozen fish a few on some of the ugly flys I tied myself. So, needless to say it will be a awhile until I pick up a spinning rod again I still have alot to learn especially entomology aspect of the sport.
I hit the Mokolumne river yesterday with my brother right by the fish hatchery, water was pretty decent seen quite a few fish threw everything I had at them and nothing seemed to get their attention. My brother on the other hand less than 10 minutes had a 12" trout then right before we left he hooked up on a 19" steel head, both caught on a good ol fashion live worm. So any pointers or fly suggestions especially for the mokolumne river I am all ears I have a feeling that will be my home away from home since its so close to me.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: New guy

Welcome to the forum Rick, hears a very good fly shop not to far from you FLY FISHING SPECIALTIES

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 06-01-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: My bad spelling.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Welcome Ricky! Glad to have you join us. You will definitely find a wealth of knowledge here. Feel free to share some pics of your trips and keep us posted on your progress as you grow.
Congrats on your successful day! Sounds like you've definitely caught the fever and if you're looking for a remedy, I'd suggest staying away from here. HAHA!

As far as some help for your local river, I'd take up Oarfish's suggestion. Hit up the local fly shops. Stop in, chat, buy a few flies and/or some tying materials. Cultivate a relationship with them and I'm sure that they would be happy to provide some suggestions.

Again, welcome!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

to the forum!
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Ricky,any info you need just ask as there are heaps of knowledgeable people here covering most subjects .
Brian
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 PM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the welcome! I'll be sure to post some pics as I get them. And, I'll make sure to stop by the local fly shops I'm closer to a shop in Modesto called sierra anglers I havent been there yet but I will be sure to stop by and buy a few things.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Bob from Sierra Anglers is a great guy. He and his staff will set you right.

There is another shop in Modesto called Ed Crosby's Tobacconist. It is a cigar/pipe and fly fishing shop in one. Ed Crosby is a very helpful person, too. Ed's shop is an independent Orvis dealer.

Worst case scenario, you can go to Bass Pro in Manteca. You might get someone who might know something about fly fishing.

Dennis
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 AM

I will have to check out the Tobacconist my buddy lives two blocks away from sierra anglers so he goes there alot.
I got a chance to get out to Mokolumne this am with my brother and son got to land a couple fish one tiny little 5" and a 10" trout on a pheasant tail nymph. There is a hole my brother was fishing he pulled about 5 fish out of it with a live worm all the fish were 20" and bigger I wadded out to have a look and there was about 25 fish in there just waiting to be caught but I just could not get them to bite anything I had. My brother did keep 1 that he landed so I told him to check the stomach and to my surprise it had about 4-5 crawfish in the belly I flipped a log that was in the water and it had a crawfish under it took to the edge of the hole where all the fish were sitting threw in the crawfish and it never even hit the bottom.... So I guess I should learn how to tie a crawfish fly?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyortiz View Post
So I guess I should learn how to tie a crawfish fly?
. . .or maybe an earthworm pattern?
Welcome Rick. It's awesome that you're new and already catching fish on flies you've tied! They can't be all that ugly if they work.

I've never fished the Mokelumne. I looked at the regs - sounds like these fish are from a hatchery? Either way they are going to eat what they are used to. Time to have fun and get creative. Can you tie a power bait pattern?
Check out the hatchery pellet tie - you should try it.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
. . .or maybe an earthworm pattern?
Welcome Rick. It's awesome that you're new and already catching fish on flies you've tied! They can't be all that ugly if they work.

I've never fished the Mokelumne. I looked at the regs - sounds like these fish are from a hatchery? Either way they are going to eat what they are used to. Time to have fun and get creative. Can you tie a power bait pattern?
Check out the hatchery pellet tie - you should try it.
I believe that most of them are hatchery raised. Although I did catch my first one on a dry fly this evening and it was pretty awesome and I do believe it was a wild trout. I will definitely have to try to tie up one of those hatchery pellet flys. heres a couple pics my GF took of me today while out there shortly after these were taken I was not paying attention and lost my footing and went right in up to my neck lol a fellow fly fishermen was walking by and shouted as I righted myself I saw that!!

me taking the first one off the line.

and bringing in the second of the day.
Noiso and cattech89 like this.