The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Pro Shops, Rancho Cucamonga

Anyone been out to this place in Rancho Cucamonga? I didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago. Man, the place is HUGE, and they have their "White River Fly Shop" inside. The entire facility hosts boats, bikes, kayaks, spin fishing equipment, a fudge shop, a restaurant, a waterfall, rock climbing wall, catfish aquarium... the list goes on and on.

It's almost like a mall with all outdoors equipment...

Gusto

Outdoor World Retail Stores - Bass Pro Shops
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM

dryflyin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bass Pro Shops, Rancho Cucamonga

Oh yeah!! I often stop by that shop on my way home from trips to the east. Super friendly and informative staff. I actually find the fly selection better at the Pasadena Orvis store, but White River Fly Shop has more of just about everything else. Plus, they carry more brands.

Then there's all the non-flyfishing gear. Just eyeballing it in my mind, I think there's close to 3 acres of retail space. Once I even had my wife drooling over the bass boats, and she doesn't even fish!!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Mudboy is on a distinguished road

As close to urban nirvana as one can get for the hunter/gatherer types. Who else has a trout stream in the middle of the store? I always try to work in a visit if Iím in the area.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyin View Post
I actually find the fly selection better at the Pasadena Orvis store, but White River Fly Shop has more of just about everything else. Plus, they carry more brands.
I didn't even know about that store!

They carry all kinds of fly fishing equipment in there?

Gusto
Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 PM

kingbiscuit is on a distinguished road

Maybe Cabela's has lower quality gear, but I have always found much better deals there. I have been using my flyrods for a few years now, and no problems. Bass Pro is fun for browsing though.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

You darn right they carry ALL kinds of fishing equipment. We even have one in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I always spend more than I want in the BPS but hey I may need all that equipment some day..Ha! The next time I'm out in California, I'll check that place out. It sounds like it's quite a bit larger than our Midwest store in Iowa. It's good info. Thanks, Boser
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
I didn't even know about that store!

They carry all kinds of fly fishing equipment in there?

Gusto
Yeah, the fly shop is in the back of the Orvis store on Lake Ave. Like so many "outfitters" today, they make most of their money selling clothes to people who want to look cool.

But in the back of the store they still carry all the Orvis gear. They have about the same quantity of rods and reels as White River, but of course they only stock Orvis gear. Their fly selection is better. Of course, Orvis positions themselves upmarket, so while flies are around my $2 benchmark, expect prices for everything else to be toward the high end.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Bass Pro is the closest to me for fly fishing gear othen than sports chalet or is it sportmart?? The help at the White River Fly shop is pretty good though, never had a bad experience there.

Sean
Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Other Flyfishing Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
Bass Pro is the closest to me for fly fishing gear othen than sports chalet or is it sportmart?? The help at the White River Fly shop is pretty good though, never had a bad experience there.

Sean
Not sure where you are, but there's also Bob Marriott's in Fullerton, and The Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

I live in Riverside, BSP is closer to me than Bob Marriots and stays open longer too. However there are things that are at Bob Marriots that isnt at BSP.

Sean