The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By khende

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road
Default hip boots or waders

I am going to take my son (13) up to Bridgeport this summer to fish the East Walker. Hip boots or waders for both of us?

also, I know it has some big fish, but I'm going to fish a3 wt. is that dumb?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: hip boots or waders

Maybe some of the other guys can help out too...but I wear waist hi's there. The flows can fluctuate, but I usually find it about 120 cfs, or so and think hippers could work. There'd be places you couldn't reach, though...If flows went up that would be out the window, so....?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

3 wt would be more at home on a small pond or small stream. You will be rather limited to the size of flies you can throw, and larger fish may take longer to land. I googled the East Walker, and large browns and rainbows in the 18-24'' range are common. I would be using a 5 or 6wt, 4wt minimum, 8'6'' - 9'. Sounds like streamers work real well there. Not that you couldn't use a 3wt of course, but you may be limited while fishing a river that has produced 5lb trout and larger.
East Walker River
The Ecological Angler - East Walker River
Walker River Outfitters . Fishing Reports
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I forgot to answer about the rod....I have fished a 3 there, but you're really undergunned IMO. You can do it, but run the risk of losing or killing a good fish. I fish for steelies in Norcal with a 5 wt, so I'm not a nazi about using big rods...but in this case, I think best minimum is like a med fast 9' 4wt. If there was more or heavier water the 4 wouldn't work...

I fish a 5 generally there, but....I don't have a 4...

-Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
I am going to take my son (13) up to Bridgeport this summer to fish the East Walker. Hip boots or waders for both of us?
With daytime temps in the mid-80s and up, I'd wet wade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
...I know it has some big fish, but I'm going to fish a3 wt. is that dumb?
I'm with Mike on this. You would be undergunned if Homie decides to take your fly.

Plus you need to keep in mind what kind of payload that you intend to throw. If you plan on using an indo-float-a-bob-icator rig that has multiple flies and split shot, you may want to think a 4 or 5 weight.

I usually use a 9 foot 4 weight for the East Walker.

Dennis
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I would say 4 weight minimum, 8.5 or 9 foot. Waist hi's are far more versatile than hippers in my experience. And as far as summer on the EW, the river can have high water temperatures that stress the fish, especially in low snowpack conditions like we have this year. Keep an eye on the reports, the local fly shops will sometimes recommend not fishing during these times, and rightfully so. There are lots of other options in the area to explore if the river is too warm. milt.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM

khende is on a distinguished road

Another factor anywhere in the East Sirrea is the wind, making a 3wt almost useless
oarfish likes this.