The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 PM

kingbiscuit is on a distinguished road
Default Mineral King Farewell Gap 17Jul2010

Had a great time fishing in the Farewell Gap in Mineral King. Caught 10-15 golden trout, I think. I have never caught a golden before so I am not 100% sure it wasn't some sort of hybrid. Hopefully someone can verify from the pictures. I also caught several brookies.

The river is running very fast!! Storms came on friday and I had to wait until saturday for the dirty rain wash to clear up the stream. Saturday was great with clear skies. It was hard to find places to drop into the stream that weren't running to fast for the trout to actually have a chance at getting my fly. I started with a pheasant tail nymph and fished one pool for a long time and finally caught the first one. Once I got above the Eagle Creek inlet the water slowed substantially and the fishing got a lot better!

I also made it up on friday to the 1st Mosquito Lake. It was raining and hailing all the way with a few scary lightning moments, but I only get 2-3 trips to the sierras a year and I had to make the most of it. Mosquito Lake 1 only had Brook trout from what I caught. The outlet was very productive. Nothing big. If I went again, I would skip the first lake. I heard the 2nd lake had a mysterious trout die off 5 yrs back, and lakes 4 and 5 are suppose to be pretty stellar with some big ones. After 4 hrs of rain in subpar rain gear I called it quits, and didn't make it past the first one.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I can't get the links to show up as photos. How do I get them to show up as actual photos in the post??[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Last edited by kingbiscuit; 07-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mineral King Farewell Gap 17Jul2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbiscuit View Post
Had a great time fishing in the Farewell Gap in Mineral King. Caught 10-15 golden trout, I think. I have never caught a golden before so I am not 100% sure it wasn't some sort of hybrid. Hopefully someone can verify from the pictures. I also caught several brookies.

The river is running very fast!! Storms came on friday and I had to wait until saturday for the dirty rain wash to clear up the stream. Saturday was great with clear skies. It was hard to find places to drop into the stream that weren't running to fast for the trout to actually have a chance at getting my fly. I started with a pheasant tail nymph and fished one pool for a long time and finally caught the first one. Once I got above the Eagle Creek inlet the water slowed substantially and the fishing got a lot better!

I also made it up on friday to the 1st Mosquito Lake. It was raining and hailing all the way with a few scary lightning moments, but I only get 2-3 trips to the sierras a year and I had to make the most of it. Mosquito Lake 1 only had Brook trout from what I caught. The outlet was very productive. Nothing big. If I went again, I would skip the first lake. I heard the 2nd lake had a mysterious trout die off 5 yrs back, and lakes 4 and 5 are suppose to be pretty stellar with some big ones. After 4 hrs of rain in subpar rain gear I called it quits, and didn't make it past the first one.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph.../IMG_01471.jpg
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...4/IMG_0393.jpg
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph.../IMG_01501.jpg
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph.../IMG_01451.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I can't get the links to show up as photos. How do I get them to show up as actual photos in the post??[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------
Like this:

You put "[img]put website here[/img]"

- Just take out the quotation marks and you should be good to go.

Nice shots, by the way! The Sierra is a divine place, even in hail and rain.

Gusto
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 PM

kingbiscuit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mineral King Farewell Gap 17Jul2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
Like this:

- Just take out the quotation marks and you should be good to go.

Nice shots, by the way! The Sierra is a divine place, even in hail and rain.

Gusto
Thanks for the tip! Seems like other sites do it automatically, oh well.