The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road
Default Upper Owens & Hot Creek

In July. wet wading, hip boots, waist waders or chest waders.

Also, should I buy my flies before I go or at a local shop?

AND 3 wt. possible??? Or go with a 6 wt.?

Note; getting back into this after a long hiatus and trying to teach son, 13.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Upper Owens & Hot Creek

it's the same answer as the EW
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM

khende is on a distinguished road

I havr fished the upper Ownes many times with varing degrees of success. My best has been with nymphs fished just below the surface. The problem is the weeds in the river. The fish are in the weeds and I try to get the nymph just after the ends of the weed beds. I have also been sucsessfull with streamers on a bubble and spinning rod. This was before i learned to cast a fly rods. If what you are useing is not working be quick to switch. The fly shops in Mammoth are very helpful on what is working and carry a good selection of flys. My experience is that the flys that are really working are out of stock. I would call can try to order what you need before you go. As always a few bucks spent in a fly shop gets information. Good luck. This is one of the most scenic fisheries in the US.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
it's the same answer as the EW
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
Also, should I buy my flies before I go or at a local shop?
Before you go on any trip, you should have flies with you. Study hatch charts for that time of year. Some of the hatch charts will have the recommendations. Once you are there, you can add a few flies that are currently the hot ones.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

On the UO you really won't need to wade much, and on Hot Creek you should avoid it as much as possible. Stealth will increase your odds in both places. milt.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Both waters need not be waded...ck. The Troutfitter in Mammoth, The Sierra Trout Magnet in Bishop or Tom Loe's Sierra Drifters - for their reports and what's working. I personally prefer a 5wt or 6wt., if the wind is up.

Hot Creek can be a ZOO... try to get there EARLY...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road

thank you all.

One more question. What is considered a good tip for the guide for 1/2 day with two people?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I probably left some info out, but there has been some discussion of this tipping question.

Tips for your guide
Guided trip and how to tip the guide?
Gratuities for Guides
So, what is the usual tip rate for a guide?
Proper Tipping for Guides?
How much to tip a guide?
How much to tip an Orvis class guide