The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough
Default Lake alpine

I've been thinking about taking a ride up there for the day. I use to fish it when I was a younger rooster tails always seemed to do the job. But, it has been many many years since I've been there. Anyone that has fished it recently or any help with what fly's I should try while there would be much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lake alpine

Bring the standard fare of Sierra stillwater flies.

Woolly Buggers of different sizes and colors, weighted and non-weighted
Hale Bop or Simi Seal Leeches
Calibaetis nymphs and dries
Damselfly nymphs and dries
Sheep Creek Specials
Chironomid nymphs and dries

Most action will happen at first light and dusk. Focus on dries and emergers during that period.

Between then, I would fish buggers or leeches with a sinking line.

Dennis

Edit: Make sure to have some ant, ladybug, and bee patterns just in case the convection currents drop them on the water surface.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-28-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I thought I was the only guy still carrying sheep creek specials around

Ricky...if you go, post a pic or 2 of the lake, please. I haven't been up HWY 4 in along time...-Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 PM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough

Hey Mike I will make sure to get a picture if i go and hopefully a few pics of the trout as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

I miss fishing the granite lakes....We used to float tube up at ward lake, (eddison area),...sigh.....Now it's just warm water flats and mai tai's.....sigh

Looking forward to your pics and report ricky...

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields