The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Pinecrest or Yosemite July 27-29 (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/290830-pinecrest-yosemite-july-27-29-a.html)

zonkerjr 07-08-2012 06:08 PM

Pinecrest or Yosemite July 27-29

Hi All,

I have been lurking around here for a little while and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing but have loved it and want to get out on the 7/27 and catch me some trout.

I'm looking for a 5 mile in and 5 mile out route, but most of the routes I've done in the Emigrant and Yosemite are quite a bit further.

If 108 to Pinecrest or a little beyond, or 120 Yosemite were the choices what would you choose and can you suggest some nice spots? It needs to be a short back pack trip because we will be coming from the SF area and having to be back Sunday night. Up I've never been to Lake Alpine off HWY-4 but it looks like a possibility too.

Ill be going out with a buddy who has been practicing in the park. It will be his first time fly fishing.

Any other suggestions will of course be welcomed.

We will be using a 3wt 7.5" and 5wt 9.5" - no waders.

Thanks for sharing.

ZJ

nickel 07-09-2012 08:51 PM

Re: Pinecrest or Yosemite July 27-29

Pinecrest and Yosimite will most likely be very packed.

PM sent

dj717 07-14-2012 12:57 PM

20 lakes basin....about a 5 mile loop, lots of water, and very pretty.

dhayden 07-14-2012 02:33 PM

If out got to pinecrest.. I've awyas found good water as I continue on 108 and get below Kennnedy mesadoww, right off the road

zonkerjr 07-14-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj717 (Post 471036)
20 lakes basin....about a 5 mile loop, lots of water, and very pretty.

That is about the perfect distance for my weekend. I have always wanted to do that route and hop over the ridge to McCabe Lake in the park and end in Tuolumne Meadows. This loop might just double as a scout out the longer trip if I ever get to it.

Thx
Zjr

zonkerjr 07-25-2012 05:34 PM

So it is going to be Clark Fork.

I decided that I want to do more fishing than packing on this trip.

Zjr

winxp_man 07-29-2012 02:46 PM

Dont want to get off topic but I have a buddy that was somewhere in Yosemite and he said he saw a whole load of trout in the rivers. He said there was all kind of spinning guys trying to catch them by dropping all kinds of bait but the fish were just no going to strike. I then asked him if he saw any FFmen out there and he said none. I wonder if some nicely tied nymphs would do the trick. :)

adidas4275 08-10-2012 03:32 AM

for scenery and a quite day out strawberry creak up above pinecrest is a nice little hike with decent trout all done sight fishing....

Love to sneak up on a big fat one in clear water and get that large bug to hit the grass on the other shore and plop into the water right in front of him!

As a child I use to spend every summer up in that area!